Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Questions about a 3314 V

richp

Hello,

I had no idea that there was a Simplicity and
Allis Chalmers board and club. This is great!

Anyway, I have a question: My next door neighbor has
a Simplicity 3314V (Prod# 990654, ID# 654001770) that
he is selling for $600.

Can anyone tell me more about this tractor or point me
to info on it? (i.e. year of production, hp, engine make
, etc.)

It looks as though it's taken a beating, but the engine
starts right up. It also still does a fair job at
cutting the lawn. (I ran it on a back portion of my
land.)

It's going to need a lot of cosmetic work, if I decide
to get it, but I'm more concerned with operational things
first. Here are the things that I have noticed about it:

- The transmission grinds when you put it in gear. Its
better at low throttle, but it still grinds until engaged.
Also, it looks like in an effort to not have the gears
grind, someone has disabled the safety so that the
tractor can be started in gear instead of only in neutral
as the label on the transmission boldly proclaims.

- The Veri (sp?) speed lever doesn't seem to work.
(Although, pulling it all the way back does seem to slow
the tractor down slightly.)

- The mowing deck is pretty worn out. I'm either going
to have to rebuild or replace it eventually.

So, with that little bit of information, can anyone
give me an idea what the "real" value of this tractor
is, and what kind of time, effort, and $$$ am I looking
at to restore it?!

My first goal is to get the machine to a safe, smooth
running, clean grass cutting state. Once that is
accomplished, I'm thinking about either restoring or
replacing the worn/extremely used looking parts until
I have a tractor I'm proud of and willing to show to
the neighbors, etc.

Let me know what you think. (If you'd prefer, you can
reply to my e-mail address: pjmckay@iname.com)

Thanks!!

HEY PETE, YOUR IN LUCK(SORT OF) I JUST PURCHASED THE SAME TRACTOR LAST THURSDAY. I HAVE STARTED THE HUNT FOR INFORMATION ALREADY AND WILL KEEP YOU POSTED ON WHAT I FIND OUT. HERE'S WHAT I NOW KNOW ABOUT THIS MODEL. THE MODEL BREAKDOWN IS AS FOLLOWS 33 IS THE MODEL SERIES, 14 IS THE HORSEPOWER, V IS FOR THE VARIABLE DRIVE. HENCE 3314V DESIGNATION. AN H WOULD BE HYDROSTATIC DRIVE. A CALL TO SIMPLICITY HEADQUARTERS IN WISCONSIN REVEALED THE 33 WAS MADE IN 1970 AND 1971. THEY ALSO HAVE A LARGE ARCHIVE OF OLD MANUALS FOR TRACTORS AND ATTACHMENTS. IN REFERENCE TO PRICE, I PAID $700 FOR MINE WHICH I WOULD CONSIDER A 7 ON A SCALE TO 10. EVERYTHING WORKS AND RUNS GREAT ON MINE INCLUDING THE VARI-DRIVE. IT CAME WITH THE FOLLOWING ATTACMENTS: SNOWBLADE, ROTOTILLER, PLOW, CULTIVATOR, HARROW, DISC, MOWER, WHEEL WEIGHTS, AND SNOW CHAINS. BUT, I THINK I GOT A GREAT DEAL. MY OPINION WITH THE PROBLEMS AND CONDITION YOU STATED PLUS THE LACK OF ALOT OF OPTIONS I WOULD ONLY GIVE $450 OR $500 FOR IT BUT OTHER CLUB MEMBERS MAY HAVE A BETTER INSIGHT. THE VARIABLE CLUTCH WORKS LIKE A CENTRIFICAL CLUTH ON A SNOWMOBILE THAT IS ADJUSTABLE. IT SOUNDS LIKE IT NEEDS WORK BUT I HAVE TORN MINE APART YET TO TELL YOU WHAT TO DO. I PLAN ON RESTORING MY TO FACTORY FRESH AS WELL PLUS PURCHASE MORE ATTACHMENTS AND INSTALL FACTORY HYDRAULIC LIFT FOR THEM. I EXPECT I'LL SPEND ABOUT $300 ON PAINT AND A SEAT, SANDBLASTING, NEW PARTS ETC.. I HAVEN'T FOUND A SOURCE FOR REPLACEMENT DECALS YET. WISH YOU GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR DECISION ON PURCHASE AND IF SO THEN LOOK FORWARD TO EXCHANGING NOTES AND INFO AS WELL AS PICTURES BEFORE AND AFTER RESTORATION. GOOD LUCK AND BEST REGARDS, SCOTT A. NOVAK

Hi Pete,
Welcome to our club!

According to page 1 of the AC>Simplicity cross reference table (you can find by clicking the "X-Ref Table" link anywhere on the SimpleTractors web site (except the discussion area) this appears to be a late 60's to early 70's tractor with a variable speed transmission and 14 hp engine. You'll find that pinpointing the mfg. year of the tractor is nearly impossible, but pinpointing the mfg. year of the engine is usually quite easy, at least if it's an original B&S engine and you have access to a B&S service manual. If you get the 3 sets of numbers off the engine and post them, you'll likely get the engine mfg year from someone in the club, and then you can interpolate when the tractor was made. (usually the same year, or 1 year later) Personally, that's about all I know, as I'm a relative rookie here. But I'm sure someone else will come to your rescue regarding some of the symptoms you described. There's probably, collectively, century's of experience in this club.

Best of luck,
Greg

Pete, The problems you described with the variable speed not working correctly and the gears grinding probably both come from a misadjusted variable speed drive. The gears will grind if the transaxle pulley does not stop turning when the clutch is disengaged. This problem does not sound serious. I have had two tractors with variable speed and still have one of them. Neither one worked right when I bought them. The belts slipped so bad the tractors would barely move. Adjustment and new OEM belts fixed both. As for the mower deck why do you say it's worn out. Are the arbor bearings noisy, is the deck rusted out? It may only need new belts and sharp blades. As for the safety switch those tend to go open and then the tractor can't be started. Probably disconnected for that reason. Is it worth $600.00, that's probably a little high for the condition it's in. From what you described I'd say $300.00 to $400.00 maybe higher if it has hydraulic lift. Of course the prices vary by location and I can only give a guess based on NJ and PA prices. Tim

Pete, last fall I bought a 1971 3314V for $275. With a weak engine. I have turned this into a pulling tractor, AND I'M USING THE VARIABLE SPEED. There is manuals available (I have one) that show how to adjust the variable speed system. If the gears grind it is probably the belt brake is not adjusted properly. It is that thing that looks like a retainer on the back side of the idler (belt tensioner) pulley. When you step on the clutch the idler raises and the belt stop should wedge the belt to the idler, thus stopping it from free spinning. I believe parts are hard to find for the vari-speed. Worst case it can be removed, installed straight pulleys and operate as a straight 3 speed.

Good Luck. MS