Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Front wheel Bearing Seals

victorsnc

I was installing the "poor man's power steering" modification on the B-10 and Agco 918H this weekend, and made a disappointing discover on the quality of wheel bearing seals in the 1990's versus 1960-1980's.The original 1966 B-10 wheel bearing seal is actually attached to the inner bearing and looks like this:

BRGB10-1.JPG

Removing the front wheel on the Agco 918H, I discovered water and debris intrusion past the seal:

BRG1.JPG

Here is the culprit: A cheap bearing seal:

BRG3.JPG

This picture shows both seals for comparison:

BRG comp.JPG

So when did Simplicity change to the cheaper seal? And more importantly what are some proven solutions for a better seal?

BRGB10-1.JPG.618bc6e5d0c9eefbc486853d8fd931df.JPG

BRG1.JPG.d3e81fde47bb5be650c9276ebc62b78a.JPG

BRG3.JPG.434edcd61d9cf3de6f66a850c0d38dd7.JPG

57e057d78727e_BRGcomp.JPG.7b2fe85a8982e1ebc9d30178f24aa893.JPG

....And you "expected better" from a Company that uses a "Locking Collar" to hold a Timken Bearing Set together.....?

quote:Originally posted by Multiplicity

.....And you "expected better" from a Company that uses a "Locking Collar" to hold a Timken Bearing Set together.....?

id="quote">
id="quote">Locking collar has been in use and doing the job for over 40 years. That should state something. The above is rust from lack of required maintenance or water, probably from sitting in the rain. The bearings are available from dealer or NAPA with the seals.

Ray,

The last set of inner bearings that I ordered, using the old part number, came back as a plain bearing set with no seal. My dealer says they are no longer available. Do you happen to know the NAPA part number?

The bearing number is on the race. The last time I got a set they used those.

I know the numbers are on the sight here somewhere. I can check later but that number on the race will work.

I've always ordered 2 part numbers for each set. One has the seal, one does not. I have not seen the second setup before, as in Victor's post above.

I avoided these 10 years ago or so by using the bearings in the spindle arbors. They are sealed and I have not had a problem yet. Josh, they are in the front end of your 7790.

quote:Originally posted by RayS

Josh, they are in the front end of your 7790.

id="quote">
id="quote">No wonder I get such good gas mileage! ;)I actually need to rebuild the spindles on the front of my old 716-6 for it's current owner in the near future. I'm thinking bearings are on my parts list, as are bushings for the axle.

I bought a set of Timken LM11900LA from a IBT which is an industrial bearing and parts supply company. The salesman told me these are used on boat trailer axels. I did have problems finding them through Simplicity dealer and retail parts stores.