Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

spark...no start on 10hp briggs squire 10

peterinbrooklyn

So I replaced the points and condenser on my squire 10 10Hp briggs...I have spark at the plug wire but it won't spark on the plug...I put the plug in another tractor and it fires right up, so I know the plug is good, I have the points gapped to specs, I already covered the fuel side of the tractor so its a spark problem...and I not getting enough spark?

I had a problem with a 16 HP points fired engine. I discovered that rolling the engine over less plug, I could adjust points and actually got a better spark around .015 versus .020 by observing spark quality with my Briggs spark tester.

I like to use an inline spark tester and adjust the points while turning the engine over or running it. Stop when the light is the brightest.

man...Im really confused here...got a new plug...gapped it correctly and even moved the gap a little bit with all the different points gaps I tried. I have spark at the wire, but still nothing at the plug. I have adjusted the points anywhere from .013-.23 and see my hottest spark at .18-.19 but still no spark at the plug. I have good compression in the engine as well.

yep put a new plug in it...had the old plug that was in it and put it in another tractor and it started right up...

quote:Originally posted by peterinbrooklyn

yep put a new plug in it...had the old plug that was in it and put it in another tractor and it started right up...

id="quote">
id="quote">Does your plug wire have any breaks in it and is it in the position when you connect plug wire to installed plug v/s the spark tester?

had to take it to the guy down the street...he called said its not getting a hot enough spark so its gotta be the flywheel magnets. So the motor has to come out...ugh

well the fella found the problem...appears a rodent had chewed the isulation off the wire from the coil about 4 inches past and the spark was jumping momentarily thus giving me weak spark...the Squire 10 is up and running now! Better than ever

So how'd you fix the chewed off wire?? On my 3314 I found that problem when I was bringing it back to life, used a well pump water proof connector on it. Still working.