Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
yukon

yukon

still working on the deutz allis 917 it ran when i brought it home now it just clicks. took my meter and went on the side of the solenoid that goes to the starter it showed 12.45 volts when i hit the key it just dropped in voltage does that mean the starter is bad or froze.

MPH

Might pull the starter and clean it out good, put some lub of the bushings and try it again, if the brushes look ok. Did that to the one on my 16hp Briggs in the loader and works and sounds like new, it had a hard time spinning before.

yukon

bad thing is its got a 18 kohler magnum so i have to pull the engine good thing i have another starter, oh ya its a brand new battery, well next nice day ill get the engine puller out. thanks guys

midnightpumpkin
quote:Originally posted by yukon

still working on the deutz allis 917 it ran when i brought it home now it just clicks. took my meter and went on the side of the solenoid that goes to the starter it showed 12.45 volts when i hit the key it just dropped in voltage does that mean the starter is bad or froze.

id="quote">
id="quote">Dave, that probably indicates you have a bad connection somewhere. Could be the neg battery cable to ground. Make sure both ends of both battery cables are clean and well connected.Put your meter right across the battery terminals, when you hit the key and the solenoid clicks the voltage should not drop a whole lot if the battery is fully charged.John U