Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

22NF AGM battery find

victorsnc

Optima does not make an AGM battery in group size 22NF - which is what all the Allis and Simplicity large-frame tractors used right up until the last Sovereign in 2001. I have always had problems with discharge and terminal corrosion (tons of yellow junk) on the lead acid batteries, and it is hard to keep the charger continuously circulated among 4 different tractors.Well, about 7 years ago I found this M-K battery which was AGM in size 22NF:

MK 22NF 1.JPG

I thought the price was steep ($121, I think?? - Best I could find on the Internet) BUT I was pleasantly surprised when two (2) of the batteries arrived. Re-read the fine print on the order and sure enough the quoted price was for 2 batteries. It seems the 22NF AGM battery is a standard for a lot of electric wheelchairs and mobility scooters, and they all require 2 batteries per scooter - so the standard Internet Order seems to be 2 batteries - read the web-site carefully.Well, after 7 years of good service with no problems, I decided it was time to order 2 more of these for the remaining old iron. The price is now $241 for 2 batteries - but is still less than $125 per battery for an AGM. Here is what the new ones look like:

MK 22NF 2.JPG

Note this battery does not have the mounting tabs at the bottom of the housing - so you will need to use the B-10 type hold-down.Here is a close-up of the nametag:

MK 22NF 3.JPG

The M-K battery is manufactured by East-Penn Manufacturing and the same 22NF battery is sold under the labels of M-K, Deka, and East-Penn. Although I ordered my batteries over the Internet, they were actually drop-shipped to me directly from the local East-Penn battery distribution center.One important thing about these M-K 22NF AGM batteries: they do not develop the full 330 cold-cranking amps until they have been discharged (to about 50% capacity) and recharged a minimum of ten times. You will read a lot of AGM is no-good stories on Internet tractor forums - but this is because these AGM's - in new out-of-the box condition do not yet have full cranking amps. They have to be exercised first.

57e057f4cb7bb_MK22NF1.JPG.d0a32b893018bc8f5c4877d4b12cd442.JPG

57e057f52be58_MK22NF2.JPG.88c25dcaa7cdd47f7373224c43b278cb.JPG

57e057f53771c_MK22NF3.JPG.bf6fa4681a1556a25697385686018d12.JPG

• Like 1

Very interesting. Thanks for the info. A couple of questions. (Maybe someone else can answer them)

1. How is a good way to discharge one of these batteries to 50% capacity so it can be cycled 10 times before installation?

2. What is the B-10 type hold-down. Could someone post a picture?

Thanks

Maybe I'm just lucky but I get my 22nf's from the local Battery Warehouse. That's the name of the place, they sell anything batteries. Walked in an asked for a 22NF, he walked right to the shelf and picked one up. Branded as a DEKA. No Huh what is that, like at most places. Bought one in January for $62.95 with a old core exchange.

Since you are in Lancaster, Pa. your not fat from the Deka factory.

I was there last Friday and purchased 4 batteries. 2 of which were for my lawn tractors. They are "blemished" Usable batteries. New batteries with a blemished case, $31.00 each with $6.00 core. Bob

I use Optimas (yellow tops) on my offroad vehicles. I also used them on my RV. I love AGMs... But on the internets, the Optimas occasionally get a bad name because people believe they don't last. I buy my Optimas from a local starter/alternator shop who has always been good to me. He told me that the reason the Optimas get a bad rap is because some retailers have them sit on a shelf for months on end waiting to go to a new happy home at which point they slowly discharge and then become sulfated (where sulfate crystals build up on the plates leaving less room for the plates to take a charge. (my interpretation of his explanation))... So people buy the batteries from Wally world or whatever, and they're already no-good. Occasionally the stores will send them back to the distributor who marks them as "Blemished" and blows them out for real cheap... It's a battery that'll probably work for a while but is not representative of that make/model of battery...

Carl,

I think a "B10 hold down" is the same as my B-110 hold down. Sorry I don't have a pic, but it's a flat bar about 1/2" wide by about 1/8" thick that runs over the top of the battery. If I remember correctly, one end goes in a slot and the other end uses a "J" hook. Same as older cars used to use.

I've had good luck with my Wally world batteries (51r's). I recently had to buy another battery so I went to my local NAPA, regular 51r was about $120, fortunately they had an AG 22nf, that was less than $100 with a core. This one may stick around for a bit as it went into one of my keepers. I probably could have saved a few $$ with another Wally world battery but I thought I'd support my local business.

Greg. Deka (East Penn Mfg) is located in Lyons Station, Pa between Fleetwood and Bowers, on State Rd. You go over the RR bridge and turn right, straight though the guard gate to their Retail Sales store, which is straight up the hill.. Bob

Anyone that likes the type 51's here's a tip.

I just bought one today for 37.75.

Talk to your local Auto Zone or auto repair shop.

When a battery sits on Auto Zone's shelf for a year after manufacturer's date, they sell them at 1/2 price as "Brand New Used"

Usually their local auto shops here about them first, they are only advertised by word of mouth through the managers, so the shops generally buy them all up.

I happen to have a brother that is a manager, so I get the "inside scoop" so I can sometimes get not only the 1/2 price, but a shop discount too. :o:O

Think I have 3 or 4 now. :D:D I also have an older one, that came in a tractor I bought 9 years ago. Still works for the most part, so they are well worth the money even at full price.

quote:Originally posted by GregB

Maybe I'm just lucky but I get my 22nf's from the local Battery Warehouse. That's the name of the place, they sell anything batteries. Walked in an asked for a 22NF, he walked right to the shelf and picked one up. Branded as a DEKA. No Huh what is that, like at most places. Bought one in January for $62.95 with a old core exchange.

id="quote">
id="quote">Was this an AGM (absorbed glass mat) battery? - completely sealed with no vent caps?

Nope, not an AGM

Just the garden variety 22NF that I can check the electrolyte level to make sure that my 40 year old regulator is not overcharging and cooking the battery. Preferences on batteries are as different as those on motor oil. I do not like the sealed battery concept, unless you plan on laying the vehicle over on its side like a motorcycle.

My two cents, value accordingly.

quote:Originally posted by CarlH

Very interesting. Thanks for the info. A couple of questions. (Maybe someone else can answer them) 2. What is the B-10 type hold-down. Could someone post a picture?Thanks

id="quote">
id="quote">Attached below is a picture of the B-10 battery hold down:Part # AW and AX are the main components.

B-10 batt hold-down.JPG

Victor,

Thanks for the illustration.

I have improvised various hold-downs on Sovereigns for batteries without tabs at the base. This gives me an idea for another approach.

I like to use a hold-down for safety reasons. I never plan to lay a tractor on its side:o). However, if it should happen, I don't much like the idea of sparks near spilling fuel.

The last 22NF I bought last spring was $47.99 at Rural King. I also use 51R as well. I have a plastic battery tray for each of my tractors. That way I can set the battery in them and not have acid corrosion issues. Doesn`t make that much since to spend the money to restore and have these batteries that love to leak destroy a paint job.

quote:Originally posted by RayS

The last 22NF I bought last spring was $47.99 at Rural King. I also use 51R as well. I have a plastic battery tray for each of my tractors. That way I can set the battery in them and not have acid corrosion issues. Doesn`t make that much since to spend the money to restore and have these batteries that love to leak destroy a paint job.

id="quote">
id="quote">Have you ever tried one of the AGM (absorbed glass mat) batteries? No vent caps, no acid leak even if you cut it in half with a band-saw! There have a tiny discharge rate compared to lead-acid, and I have personally let the battery sit all winter (in one tractor I don't use very often) and it cranks just fine in the spring - and this particular battery is 7 years old. I think all Optima Batteries are the AGM type - but Optima does not make a 22NF.The only 22NF AGM battery that I have ever found is the M-K brand, made by East-Penn Mfg.The advantages are:1. Practically zero self-discharge.2. No corrosion possibility whatsoever.3. So far, they have lasted at least twice as long as lead-acid.4. Haven't had one fail yet - they may last 3-4 times a long.The disadvantage is they cost at least twice what a lead-acid costs.What I was trying to ask in this post (but I did a poor job wording) is have members of site had any experience with the AGM technology battery in Allis/Simplicity large-frame garden tractors?

No, I never had a AMG battery. Sounds like a great battery but I am to cheap to pay $125 plus for a battery. May look into it next time though.

The 22NF I replaced last spring lasted 6 years so to me that isn`t a bad life span. I like the 51R because it has a higher cold cranking amp takes up the same foot print as the 22nf and most of the time are cheaper than the 22NF. The plastic tray I put in my tractors was less than $3.50 each. They probably wouldn`t fit a FDT but I haven`t checked either.

No, I never had a AMG battery. Sounds like a great battery but I am to cheap to pay $125 plus for a battery. May look into it next time though.The 22NF I replaced last spring lasted 6 years so to me that isn`t a bad life span. I like the 51R because it has a higher cold cranking amp takes up the same foot print as the 22nf and most of the time are cheaper than the 22NF. The plastic tray I put in my tractors was less than $3.50 each. They probably wouldn`t fit a FDT but I haven`t checked either.

id="quote">
id="quote">I find it interesting that the battery size for the Legacy XL, with the diesel engine, is also Type 51. Says a lot about cold cranking amps of the 51 and 51R.

The plastic tray I put in my tractors was less than $3.50 each. They probably wouldn`t fit a FDT but I haven`t checked either.

id="quote">
id="quote">I'd be willing to check for ya! ;) I've been using rubber mat material, similar to what's used for footrest pads on FDT's, in my battery tray on 'draggers. I like the tray idea.

They are at Walmart in the same isle as the storage totes. At Least they were a couple years ago when I bought mine. They are not a battery box but they hold up well enough to suit me. They are clear plastic storage containers.

I am curious. If they are the same physical size, what is the real difference between a 22NF and a 51R, other than, it sounds like the 22NF is harder to come by and more expensive? I have generally found the 51R to be about 50 bux at the local Farm and Barn.

I just use the U1-3 garden batteries. You have to make a spacer to take up the extra space inside the tray so you can "clamp" them in place, and you also have to bolt through the "plate" posts since they don't have cylinder style posts, but they have ~340CCA and the last one I bought has lasted for 3 years and still going ... and I use my tractor year round. I can get a 22NF locally for ~$65, but I can get these for less than $45, so I don't see the advantage in spending more. The 51R's I haven't found locally for less than the 22NF.