Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
victorsnc

PowerMax or 720 with 4 Wheel Drive

victorsnc

Has anyone tried/considered/dreamed about adding some type of drive axle to the front end of a PowerMax? Some type of hydraulic FWA - (front-wheel-assist) might be easier than shaft drive - but with the membership of this site: Nothing is Impossible

acfarmer

The 4WD wouldn't interest me as it'd be time consuming and take alot of $$$ but a diesel conversion would be nice as I don't run my Power Max tractors much because they burn so much fuel.My Cub Cadet 1782 diesel probably burns about 1/4 the fuel my 9020 does an hour.

peterinbrooklyn

Oh Man!! I have been dreaming up a 4wd conversion for quite awhile!! (like for the past 5 years) I have some ideas like the hyraulic drive but never really sat down and put them on paper

victorsnc
quote:Originally posted by rokon2813

Just curious, how much larger is the next size up? It was available with 4 WD I think.Could it's drive line be adapted into a powermax series??

id="quote">
id="quote">Back in the 1970's, when Simplicity made the PowerMax and Allis 720 garden tractors, I thought they were the largest ever made by Simplicity. I don't think the Sunstars ever came in 4WD. The first Legacys did not come in 4WD, but the new (since 2004) Legacy XL does come in 4WD with a TUFF-TORQ brand combination hydro-drive, rear axle, font & rear PTO and auxiliary drive shaft for a front axle. The Legacy XL front axle is not the companion TUFF-TORQ - but a very robust Shibuara brand front drive axle. (Shibuara is a Japan company that started manufacturing compact diesel tractors back in 1961 - and over the years was the actual manufacturer of compact units for Ford, Massey-Ferguson, and International Harvester.) Shibuara currently manufacturers all of New-Holland compact diesel tractors less than 30 HP or so. It is interesting to note that the green tractor brand trying to compete with the Legacy XL uses the TUFF-TORQ front axle which is not half the weight/strength of the Shibuara front axle. Obviously the Shibuara front axle would be a logical choice for a PowerMax or Allis 720 - but it is shaft driven and I doubt it practical to try and add some type of front drive shaft modification to the transmission of a PowerMax. But with the members of this site - Nothing is Impossible.

arnoldir

I have one of the larger cub cadet 4x4 compact tractors, Model 7254.

It's the made in USA by cub version, not the rebadged Japanese tractor.

This has a 2 speed hydrostatic and drives the front axle with a conventional drive shaft that must be hooked to the same gearset that drives the rear wheels.

The 4x4 is full time, but has some sort of over-running clutch inside the main trans so the front wheels don't dig up the grass when turning.

It has a foot pedal to lock the rear diff, and can really pull hard in mud / snow when the diff is locked.

I replaced a 720 with this tractor, and although I loved the 720 there is no way it could compare with the cub's foot pedal hydro, power steering, and single joystick quick detach loader.

The only thing I would do differently, would have been to get the diesel version as the 25hp Kawasaki gas motor is so hard to start in cold weather becuase there is no clutch on the drive for the hydro pump. I added the optional trans heater and she has to be plugged in for several hours before she will crank fast enough to start.

Talntedmrgreen

The Hinomoto-made AC and Simplicity's (5015/5215/9518, etc) had a 4WD option, and weren't too awful much larger than Powermax's. I have seen those tractors (under various brands) as parts machines.

SimplicityAllisChalmers95185015Specs.jpg

michics
Originally posted by Marty-MN

Are You thinking inline water cooled or air cooled V-twin ?Marty, I'm thinking inline water cooled Janmar or Kubota because they are around and can be had for reasonable price. And available in the 25hp range.I have not seen any v-twin Diesels. What's the power like in these ?

arnoldir

Hello again,

After scratching my head some, I remembered that I too had been thinking about a 4x4 add on for the 720 when I first got it.

I was looking at the hydraulic drive motors with spindle and hub from that surplus salvage website.

Figured if I plumbed the motors in parallel, they should work like an open differential.

Would have had to bypassed the drive pump output, passed it through an adjustable flow divider with output split between front and rear.

I thought about having it valved so the front could be swapped from parallel to series for a "locking diff" and possibly a bypass so all the flow goes to the back and the front just circulates in a loop for high ground speed.

But I figured the 4x4 system would only be able to speed match in 1st gear.

I never got farther than daydreaming about it.