Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Freebie - blue & white

perry

Very cool for being free. And even got ya a nice repower there. I think the dogs are telling you to keep this one

so far i have found the engine shroud and seat pan is completely rotted. and most everything is froze up. anyone know if a simplicity seat pan is the same ?.

Perry,

The overall shape looks identical. What I spot is the hinge pivots are near the extents of the rear lift brackets, unlike the Simplicity which are further forward inboard. I'll send you a pic.

Cheers,

Wayneid="Book Antiqua">id="size4">

Perry,A little blue and white paint mixed with a generous helping of "elbow grease", and she'll look new again. Here is a picture of my seat. I think the Allis built Homies had this seat. I got it off ebay and it had a A/C decal on the back.

FinishedRSrs.jpg

FinishedRSrs.jpg.d1af5cc95b262d802f12f31f59bd4703.jpg

quote:Originally posted by JimDk

Perry,A little blue and white paint mixed with a generous helping of "elbow grease", and she'll look new again.

id="quote">
id="quote">that is a nice tractor you have there ^. It's too bad they let this one sit outside so long. How rare are these ? and how many years were they built ?. I know you dont come across the models too often.

I forgot i have a seat pan off a 3314 , ill check and see if it is the same.

Homelite

The first Homelites were painted red and reputedly made by a firm called "Brady." Beginning in 1971, Allis-Chalmers produced Homelite tractors at the Lexington, South Carolina plant. The T-10 and T-16 used AC B-Series frames with the seat decks, steering wheels, and pedals from the Simplicity 3300/3400 seriesid="size3">.id="red"> id="size2"> The hood used a 3300/3400 series front, turned upside down. Hitch spacing was different from AC/Simplicity models up until early 1973. The dash/cowl, running boards, and front axles were exclusive to Homelite. The Lexington built T-8’s were identical to the AC Homesteader series except for using dash and hoods from the bigger Homelite tractors(T-10 through T-16). The FE Series appears to be totally unique. After the 1973 closing of the Lexington plant, Homelite models were made in Port Washington. These later models appear to be nearly identical to Simplicity models of the same time period (except for paint, front grill, and mower decks). AC/Simplicity built Homelites were painted blue with white hoods, most had electric PTO’s, and all had Briggs engines (although a Kohler powered T-16 has been reported).

Textron Corporation had purchased Homelite in 1954. In 1975, Textron purchased Jacobsen, putting an end to Simplicity-built Homelites effective the end of that model year. It appears as if Jacobsen bought tillers and possibly other attachments from Simplicity for a few years. Jacobsen built Homelites were painted red and had Kohler engines. Jacobsen also built Ford garden tractors as well as Minneapolis-Moline, Oliver, and the early White branded models (prior to MTD).

Thanks, Perry. It was quite rusty when I got it, but not nearly as bad as yours. It is a theory of a few of the members, and me, that A/C did not waste any paint or primer when they made the Homelites.

Just enough paint to last until the customer got out the dealer's door.

I did not do a super job, paint wise, on mine. it is Ford blue, rattle can Valspar from TSC, and Duplicolor white from NAPA. So far, it has kept the rust at bay. Our 5 yo great grand-son claims the T-10 as "his blue tractor". So, I think I know where it is going in a few years. He had many rides on it when he was younger.

At any rate, I'll quit rambling. Good luck with whatever you decide to do with yours.

Seat hinges look the same as the Simplicity hinges of that era that I have had. They stick out a ways, just like what you have there. I'm guessing BGB on back is identical to any shuttle machine of the time.

I see them semi-locally 2 or 3 times a year, and consider them scarce. I typically see the T-16 in a hydro though.

I'm having a hard time pictureing a T-8 with a T-10/T-16 hood, but the rest of that info coincides with what I've heard/read. Intersting that you mention the tie between Simplicity tillers and Jacobson, who built Ford, as I have seen numerous Ford tractors with Simplicity built tillers.

You have a later model Homelite based on the front axle and mule drive. In my experience, everything from the BGB back is straight Simplicity except for the spacing of the rear impliment hitch. The spacers are different/different order. It can easily be changed to the Simplicity spacing. The rear lift weldment also had a rectangular cross section rather than round for the early Homelite:

Homelite_Rear_Lift_Kit_Pic2.jpg

The rear lift used a unique rod setup that allowed float:

Homelite_Rear_Lift_Kit_Pic1.jpg

Homelite_Rear_Lift_Kit_Pic2.jpg.5203f97e6a543d07c136acfa1eaca9f0.jpg

Homelite_Rear_Lift_Kit_Pic1.jpg.a54417456848182b3a3a348a5fd76850.jpg

I'd be miiiiighty careful, Perry. That tractor must have some kind of scary voodoo powers. The dog hung around it for too long, and by the time he walked over to the mower deck, he shrunk somethin' awful!!

Nice find Perry, a cool tractor with a cool manufacturing history. I love the upside down grill housing.

Does the front axle have the "wishbone" or is it more like the AC 300-400 with a "double beam" axle? The electric pto/mule drive is the same as the 300-400

I want to find one someday...I've still never found one in person

Jim, yours looks great!!

I was just reading the Homelite page... NOW I see why it has so many similarities to the AC400...its made at the same time in the same factory.

It has 400 series; front axle, mule drive, E-pto, mower deck, lift/rock shaft is very close (multiplies vs reverses direction)....anyway a very interesting tractor. ^

You check and see, but I believe the later versions of this hood style, like you have there, could have the same hitch spacings as Simplicity. IE, that snowplow chould pin right up to a 7000 or 7100 series without mods.

There was a aparent half year change that brought these tractors back into simplicity implement specs prior to moving Homelite production to Port Washington and building them to be like the 7000 series.

Speculation is that knowledge of the re-unifacation of simplicity-ac was there ahead of time and there was an interest in buyers of homelites being able to keep there attachments like tillers & blades to use on future new tractors that were going to be 7000 series simplicity "clones".

However, by 1976 Texron picked up the Homelite name, and the 76 Homelites became a toatally different trator built alongside the Jacobsen line(Big square hooded red rigs).

For a a little while the homelite jacobsens used the same 36 tiller that Simplicity used , though with differet hitch brackets and a right angle gearbox attached to the tiller pulley shaft rather tha a pulley. The other end of the gear box had a driveshaft running to the tractor. I have one of those tillers converted back to simplicity.

For a a little while the homelite jacobsens used the same 36 tiller that Simplicity used , though with differet hitch brackets and a right angle gearbox attached to the tiller pulley shaft rather tha a pulley. The other end of the gear box had a driveshaft running to the tractorid="red">That must be why I thought this looked Simplicity when I saw it on CL:O:O

jake with tiller.jpg

57e05e0f5dff3_jakewithtiller.jpg.1026d41e3fb54b82ac6a05b6c1d49264.jpg

I have had a few of the ford/jacobsens over the years but never relized they used simplicity tillers . i just recently sold all my 1975 era ford attachment brochures and never payed attention to the tillers.

The snow blade on this homelite will pin right up to my simplicitys . first thing i checked ;)

quote:Originally posted by jlasater

Lol, BrettW. I was thinking the same thing. That dog sure seems patient.

id="quote">
id="quote">dog is waiting for a mouse to run out. they are both obsessed with mice

• 1 year later...

Wow, this topic is just about 2 years old.This ad has been on craiglist recentlyhttp://buffalo.craigslist.org/grd/4931162655.htmlI went to this guys house today to pick up something else for someone else and got a chance to look at this tiller.It would not take a lot to convert it back to Simplicity by the looks of it.Pretty sure this is the same tiller I posted above 2 years ago :o

Jake Simp tiller.jpg

57e0614655ddb_JakeSimptiller.jpg.592cd064735ecba18ee9bafbbcc1db16.jpg

• Who's Online (See full list)

• Bill725
    • CarlH
    • mbsengineer
    • maxwood
    • Darl Swartz
    • PGL
    • MikeES
  • Recent Status Updates

• gwiseman

gwiseman

As you know SimpletrACtors.com has changed some recently. Working through this so PM me with questions, suggestions, and/or challenges you have. Appreciate your patience and feedback.
      · 0 replies
    • gwiseman

gwiseman

Site programming updates were made 3/23/2024. As a result some things have changed including dues payment options. We will continue maintenance and work with technicians to regain credit card payment option and clear up minor challenges. On positive it appears attaching pictures is now easier. Good day. Gene 
      · 1 reply
  • Adverts