Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Allis B10 deck drive belt size?

fishnwiz

I tried search with no luck..anyone know off top of their head what the b10 mule dive belt size is and the deck drive belt size? Thanks

This is for my "all original" 1966 B-10 with a 42" deck:

For the 1/2 twist mower to deck belt I have found that Simplicity part number 2174364 (which is a 49.1 inch belt) gives the very best service. I have tried NAPA industrial belts, those so-called Kevlar belts and nothing works as good as this original Simplicity belt. You can't find this exact length belt anywhere else (at least I can't)

The PTO belt (the one on the tractor, activated by pushing the handle down) I use is Simplicity part 2121398. This belt measures 33.5 inches. You probably don't need the expense of a Simplicity belt here, but the one I am currently using is at least 20 years old.

Warning: As these tractors get very old and very used you might need slightly different length belts for the mower and maybe even the PTO.

The 42" decks use a 44.1" belt, and the 48's use a 45.1" belt. I'm unaware of any setup that uses a 49". I've had great luck with the blue belts from my local farm store, and have never had to replace one, on any attachment due to normal or even extreme use (I stuffed my Weedcutter into a bank, stopping it cold, and put a pretty deep burn in one on my front PTO once). I have had the same blue belt on my B110 for all of my mowing since at least 2007...it was on there when I inherited the machine in that year, and don't know how long it was on it before that.

That said, they changed to something other than the blue belts, the last time I went by the store, and so I grabbed their new brand for my brother in law's 48" deck. We'll see how it holds up...

Well Josh I can think of at least three different brands of blue colored belts, PIX, Stens "True Blue," and there is a blue "off-brand" at Rural King. The stens are decent, I have never had good luck with pix, have not tried the other. I do not like imported belts. As for belt sizes the early B-10s have a different mid-PTO from the late B-10s. The jackshaft pulley is much larger. I tried a 44 on my early B-10 and it didn't work, it would rub the bail on the deck, even on flat ground. That is the belt the book calls for but its wrong. It does work on a late B-10 or a B-110 because the drive pulley is smaller on those models. I have yet to find a combination that works 100% right.

I'll bring this up for all the new members.

Go to the Simple Tractors site and scroll down to "Parts and Manuals" section. There is a great belt reference table there.

You A/C guys and gals will have to convert to the Simplicity equivelent units, but they are all there for the older tractors and attachments. I'm sure all the part numbers have been changed, but the lengths are given.

josh is right, 44.1" cross drive and 34.1" PTO they must be the proper size to work together. and follow the manual for the proper adjustments on the PTO engage lever.

quote:Originally posted by perry

josh is right, 44.1" cross drive and 34.1" PTO they must be the proper size to work together. and follow the manual for the proper adjustments on the PTO engage lever.

id="quote">
id="quote">This is assuming he is putting the belt on a late B-10. I don't see how it can work on an early model. What is everyone running on a model 700 or 725, it has the same larger mid-PTO pulley?

I guess I was going off the second posts info, vs the first, which didn't specify. I do see in the tractor manuals where there is a shift from a 36" (early LL) PTO blet, to a 35" (late LL), then to a 29" (Late-late LL, with straight engagement lever).

Then, the mower deck manuals (990501/544) show a 44" and 48" cross drive belt. The decks are identical, but the mfg #'s correspond to the tractors they came with (early vs late). I can't say I've ever had an issue with a 44" belt though. I probably have never had to replace one of the early belts I suppose. I know my WB700 has a completely different PTO all together, and would assume a different belt yet. My late model 700 used a 44" with the 42" bolt together deck.

One more quick question...does the deck drive belt run off of the small pulley on the mule or the large pulley?

quote:Originally posted by perry

id="quote">
id="quote">Perry, you were correct about both belts working together, when I switched the deck drive belt to the bigger pulley on the muledrive, I needed to go up a size on the mule belt as the mule itself is pulled forward a bit and this in turn makes the mule drive belt shorter.I was having a problem that when I tried to start the engine, I was not only turning the engine but the mule drive and deck drive as well.Thanks to all for the help!Mark