Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

AC 300-400 Series....Recognition Due :o)

GLPointon

IMHO,

There's been talk lately about the AC300-400 and there Homelite counterparts and it got me puttin this together...

All my not agree but I think the AC 300-400 series tractors are the "best kept secret" in the AC/Simp lineup. Stronger front axles & frames w/BGB overlap, and better solid rod lift system w/float on the rear hitch, enclosed easier turning steering gearbox (easy to adjust), all 3 hitch points came standard & front PTO did too, storage under the seat for pins/clips/tools, even a cigarette lighter :o... I think they were AC's "shining moment" and when the Lexington plant closed they didn't retool the other factory to carry on this design and some standard features/improvments were lost...I think the only chassis' that can outdo it is the bigger Sunstar and Powermax types.... Just an observation and a desire to give these "different" tractors some cudos dOd Did I miss any unique features??

Out of my 9 tractors I do have 1 AC410 and love it!! BUT, I love all my Simplicitys and Allis Chalmers....

Truely the BEST tractors ever made...IMHO sm01

YES..."they suck" gasoline and magically transform it into horsepower and "seat time" of the sweetest kind...Can I shovel it or what :D Nice try Chris but I know what's in your garage....sm01

quote:Originally posted by sammiefish

3/4's suck... you dont know what you are talking about!!

id="quote">
id="quote">

Greg,

I'm a pretty good bulls***ter myself,

but every now and then,

I like to hear from an expert,

So, Please, Carry on

:o:O:D:D:D

I have a 310 and a 410 and like the looks and construction of these tractors even if the 310 is stuck in gear!|)

I wish there were more parts tractors around Wi though...I don't see many listed the past few years.

I have had a few of these machines. I love the styling and yes they are built heavier. I do feel they are harder to work on. They are much more like a John Deere 110/112 series. They use the same "Ross" steering gearbox. I never cared for them, maybe mine were worn out but it seemed you could turn the wheel forever before you would get any direction change of the wheels. The large rear fender deck is a PITA to deal with when you have to service the transmission. The hood and dash panels are riveted together. That was a step backwards IMO and makes it hard to remove the hood without dropping it or messing up other components. I also do not like the location of the hydro lever. The front PTO was only standard because it was required to run the mower deck. The mule drive system is OK and far better than the B-Series PTOs, IMO.

I've always wanted t otry one, but I have a large assortment of attachments that I like to use, and didn't want to mess with the compatability with the 3/4's. I will, however, grab up a nice 416H if it ever comes along ;)

So which is the better of these...the 300's or 400's?

quote:Originally posted by Talntedmrgreen

I've always wanted t otry one, but I have a large assortment of attachments that I like to use, and didn't want to mess with the compatability with the 3/4's. I will, however, grab up a nice 416H if it ever comes along ;)So which is the better of these...the 300's or 400's?

id="quote">
id="quote">they are very similar... but if you like to mess around... the 300 series has a hole in the firewall to accommodate a hydraulic pump like the HB-200'sI think I prefer the 300 front axle and the battery tray configuration.. the 400 battery tray is incorporated to the side "cover" so if your battery tray rots you have an aesthetic issue to deal with

quote:Originally posted by fishnwiz

I have a 310 and a 410 and like the looks and construction of these tractors even if the 310 is stuck in gear!|) I wish there were more parts tractors around Wi though...I don't see many listed the past few years.

id="quote">
id="quote">That's the single biggest issue with the 300 and 400 series. Some of the parts are now made of "unobtainium"...For show and such, they're great if you can locate all the needed parts to restore them. However, if you work them, eventually you're going to wear out parts that are getting harder and harder to replace...It's kinda like trying to drive a '55 Chevy convertible to work every day -- it's a neat ride, but it will likely be both expensive and more impractical over time...

Fuel tanks and mufflers are the hardest parts to source. The engine and drivetrain parts are mostly readily available.

Parts un-availability ? maybe because they were made for such a short time. BUT, I've seen tons of these parts pass through E-bay.

But even if there is a lack donor parts, that doesn't make it a bad design. I wouldn't knock a 62 Chevy because the body shop cant get a glove compartment door.

And yes, the body parts were made a bit like "uni-body". The rear fender, hood, dash tower were a BIT harder to remove...but not THAT hard. I can remove my fender/seat base in <10 mins...And the hood is only riveted to the hinge, which can be removed with 4 bolts same as my B210...I've never had to remove these parts, except for a restoration.

Personally, I think the 400 series frame is more versatile as far as hooking up attachments. The manual lift 300 series does have the rockshaft set up to give counter weight advantage where the 400 is not. Not a problem if you have the electric lift but using the armstong to lift that tiller lost its appeal a long time ago.;)With that said, my two main working tractors are hybrids. 400 frames with 300 dash and steering. The 300 dash looks better to me and the splined steering wheel eliminates a lot of slop in the steering. One has an elecric lift and the other has a B series hydro lift.

IMG1770.jpg

IMG0234.jpg

IMG1148.jpg

IMG1770.jpg.d2f38592d92d2a3957dab6072aa43ba0.jpg

IMG0234.jpg.7bb153ee727bc16d754fd13ce1fd4b8f.jpg

IMG1148.jpg.15efa8c97328f94cb0a9c49378c93e93.jpg

That Hydro-lift is an awesome feature. Thats what Chris mentioned earlier...That must have been on the earlier 300's because I dont think my 400 has the hole in the firewall for the hydro pump. Its odd that the hydro-lift wasnt offered on this, it must have been considered for it to have the mounting holes??No counterbalance but the 400 rockshaft has the "reversing" shaft to change the direction of the rear lift rod...so that Up is UP at the same time on the Front, Mid, Rear lifts...which is nice when using the Electric Lift switchYour loader is very cool!!

quote:Originally posted by Mack

Personally, I think the 400 series frame is more versatile as far as hooking up attachments. The manual lift 300 series does have the rockshaft set up to give counter weight advantage where the 400 is not. Not a problem if you have the electric lift but using the armstong to lift that tiller lost its appeal a long time ago.;)With that said, my two main working tractors are hybrids. 400 frames with 300 dash and steering. The 300 dash looks better to me and the splined steering wheel eliminates a lot of slop in the steering. One has an elecric lift and the other has a B series hydro lift.

IMG1770.jpg

IMG0234.jpg

IMG1148.jpg

id="quote">
id="quote">

I have a 410S sitting behind the garage. It was saved from the scrapyard, and is the only 300-400 series I've had.

All in all, not a bad machine, from what I've seen. But I probably wouldn't buy another one, unless the price was giveaway, or close.

I have a 312H with the Hydro and electric lifts and I absolutely love it! Whenever I go to use it I tell my fiance I'm going to ride my mistress "Allis" and she just shakes her head. LOL I have 5 tractors and the Allis is the main one. The allis is original and although it might leak a little fluids from time to time, it's a beast. I use it for cutting 2.5 acres, plowing snow and snow blowing, tilling a large garden and hauling firewood on my property. It's also the most comfortable tractor I have. My neighbors down the road all have newer tractors and they tell me all the time how jealous they are of mine because the new ones just aren't made like the old ones.

Andy I totally forgot to mention that these are MY most comfortably tractors too. The seat base is tilted back just the right amount, the running boards are big and wide and there's lots of room around the shifter/dash/wheel. My Dad's had a spinner on the steering wheel because these are "low geared" and turn very easy but need more rotation to turn... thanks for the inputsm01

The cutting height adjustment is easy and you can cut a little taller than both earlier and later models.By far the easiest steering of all my tractors. 400 series fuel tanks are prone to the dreaded seam crack.:( I am converting mine over to the 300 metal tanks as needed,

Yes I have an add looking for a good 400 fuel tank. Mine has the seam leak...It ok so long as I keep it under 1/2 a tank sm00