Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
motorhead110

More problems!

B110guy

I suppose you could. Just need a gauge, a fitting that'll thread into the spark plug hole, a "tee" and a Schrader valve. Wonder if there is a standard time for X pressure to hold? Even a tight engine is going to leak down. You can buy a compression tester to see just what your engine is doing. Cheaper than $170. You could probably tee into that by the gauge with a Schrader valve and have a leakdown/compression tester. Check eBay. Might find cheaper there too.

B110guy

chris87

i think harbor freight have them for cheaper. a good engine can have 10 % leak if i remember right it says it right on my gauge. that is one like mine and more just for reference. you might even be able to have a auto shop to do it for cheap i would think since it only takes a min to do and anyone who does engine work should have one.

chris87

yeah here is the hf one http://www.harborfreight.com/cylinder-leak-down-tester-94190.html

with these you need to have a decent air compressor bc it must maintain above 100 psi well your taking your reading or it will be inaccurate. i have cheated before by doing it at 75 psi but then you have to do math so its not quit as easy when doing it at 100 psi.

Multiplicity

...If you have 2 gauges and a regulator upstream from the gauges

you can make the Tester....You'll need to have a .014" orfice

between the 2 gauges for proper leak-down rates...Position the

Piston on it's compression stroke at TDC and lock into position CAREFULLY.....Set your "Line-In" pressure at 75#, with a hose

from the 2nd gauge to the sparkplug hole and hope to read close

to 70# or somewhat less at the second gauge....65# and above would probably be alright....My experience is with larger bore Lycomings, but the principal is the same.....If you can't achieve those numbers, listen at the crankcase breather, the muffler, or carburetor for leakage points.....