Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

pre 1981 briggs cast iron engine magneto

nhfootdragger

I just purchased a pre 1981 cast iron briggs engine out of a simplicity large frame lawn tractor, the former owner had tried to install the electronic magneto coil without re-polarizing the cast iron flywheel and also moved the original and now discontinued "armature mounting bracket" (Briggs # 211440 ) from its points/condenser/magneto position, this aluminum bracket has slots so there is an infinite range of positions

My question is: ........as I have several other Simplicity tractors that have the original magneto and points / condenser and run great, I would like to just change this engine back to points and old style coil

How is the proper position of the Briggs # 211440 "armature mounting bracket" determined?

None of the Briggs manuals that I have mention this bracket and how to adjust it , most engines from briggs had the ignition timing pre-determined by the flywheel shaft key.

Also is there a ohm reading range for measuring the primary and secondary coils for the old style ignition coil?

Any help in this matter would be really helpful as the access to the magneto parts in these large frame simplicity tractors requires removing the engine.

Sincerely

nhfootdragger

WOW thanks very much for the link to Integrated Publishing they are a great source for possibly obsolete critical info for us cast iron gear heads :)

This site is such a great source for info on Simplicity tractors.

Thanks again I have been trying to find this out for weeks.

Sincerely

Colin Morris

alias nhfootdragger

I have been running an external (Kohler) coil on my B/S 243431 10Hp engine for 25 years. It runs just as good as my other B/S engines and starts even quicker. Unless there is a problem with the points plunger that can't be fixed, I will continue to use external coils every time a magneto goes bad.