Jump to content

Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  

Arbor rebuild - questions

Recommended Posts


Ok so yesterday I visited my local Simp dealer.

This morning I got the old bearings out and cleaned everything up.

Question - do the bearings seat against just these 3 "tabs" shown in this photo:


There are 3 of these on the top and bottom.

Now, when I removed the old bearings, this sucker was between the 3 tabs and the bottom of the top bearing:


Is this supposed to be there? I don't see it in the parts breakdown I have. And, if so is there supposed to be one on the bottom too?

I don't have a flinger (there wasn't one) so I guess it's back to the dealer for that an a couple more washers (the two just below the flinger), they weren't there either.

I suspect someone did a rebuild on this one previously but from the looks of it, incorrectly?

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok. Thanks. That's where it was; so I guess I need new ones (there wasn't one for the bottom bearing.

So... courtesy of Jack's parts breakdown:

Flinger 2108181

Backing rings 2108134

Washers 2108181

Washers 2108257SM

Washers 2108472

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
quote:Originally posted by MikeES

I have taken apart dozens of arbors and have never seen a machine washer in the arbors ?????

id="quote">Ditto, what deck is that??

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m trying to rebuild an arbor on my 38” Simplicity deck after blowing the upper bearing. I took the whole assembly and showed it to my dealer who sold me a new bearing, upper housing and the washer that sits below the lower bearing. I put it all back together and filled the arbor with grease.

Here’s where I may have gone wrong. In order to keep the shaft from spinning while tightening the top nut (called a hex flange on my model) I put the blade on and used a block of wood to hold everything still. Once I got the torque right on the flange, 50-70 lbs according to the manual, I torqued the blade as recommended. The entire assembly was locked down solid – there was no way I could spin the blade. I tried backing off the torque on the flange to see if I could get the blade to spin but it required that I loosen it so much that the whole assembly would have flown apart if I tried to run it. Any help with this problem would be greatly appreciated.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

  • Who's Online (See full list)

    • serfgirl59
    • Paul M.Murphy
  • Today's Birthdays

    No users celebrating today
  • Recent Status Updates

    • Bubba1997


      Searching for a Sleeve hitch and breaking plow and other equipment if price is right and also a deck for a B1 thank you 
      · 3 replies
    • Dean McFadden

      Dean McFadden

      Good morning peeps! I’m always searching for helpful information with my AC collection. Hope to find out new information and pass on my own experience in restoration. Here are some pics of my babies. I’m still looking for front rims for the 410 so yesterday I put the 310 wheels on took it for a drive. Working pretty good but still needs some carb work. Gotta get the 310 running next. Have a great day!😁

      · 1 reply
  • Adverts