Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Arbor rebuild - questions

OrangeMetalGuy

Ok so yesterday I visited my local Simp dealer.

This morning I got the old bearings out and cleaned everything up.

Question - do the bearings seat against just these 3 "tabs" shown in this photo:

DSCN0796_zps4762a0d2.jpg

There are 3 of these on the top and bottom.

Now, when I removed the old bearings, this sucker was between the 3 tabs and the bottom of the top bearing:

DSCN0795_zpsc566ad62.jpg

Is this supposed to be there? I don't see it in the parts breakdown I have. And, if so is there supposed to be one on the bottom too?

I don't have a flinger (there wasn't one) so I guess it's back to the dealer for that an a couple more washers (the two just below the flinger), they weren't there either.

I suspect someone did a rebuild on this one previously but from the looks of it, incorrectly?

Ok. Thanks. That's where it was; so I guess I need new ones (there wasn't one for the bottom bearing.

So... courtesy of Jack's parts breakdown:

Flinger 2108181

Backing rings 2108134

Washers 2108181

Washers 2108257SM

Washers 2108472

quote:Originally posted by MikeES

I have taken apart dozens of arbors and have never seen a machine washer in the arbors ?????

id="quote">
id="quote">Ditto, what deck is that??

• 3 months later...

I’m trying to rebuild an arbor on my 38” Simplicity deck after blowing the upper bearing. I took the whole assembly and showed it to my dealer who sold me a new bearing, upper housing and the washer that sits below the lower bearing. I put it all back together and filled the arbor with grease.

Here’s where I may have gone wrong. In order to keep the shaft from spinning while tightening the top nut (called a hex flange on my model) I put the blade on and used a block of wood to hold everything still. Once I got the torque right on the flange, 50-70 lbs according to the manual, I torqued the blade as recommended. The entire assembly was locked down solid – there was no way I could spin the blade. I tried backing off the torque on the flange to see if I could get the blade to spin but it required that I loosen it so much that the whole assembly would have flown apart if I tried to run it. Any help with this problem would be greatly appreciated.