Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

What might I have fried?

tripleguy

Was getting the 5216 ready for mowing today. Rebuilt the deck over winter and I changed the oil and put the battery in. Turned the key and the starter didn't engage - just spun. Tried a few times, still nothing. Looked at the battery with my glasses on and I had the terminals reversed! Changed it out and it started right up. A few hours go by and I go back out to start it and nothing. Not even a click. Battery checks out OK. What did I mess up? Starter? solenoid? Circuit breaker???

check your battery terminals dosent take much to loose conection.and check to see if you didnt turn your deck switch off if its engaged you wont get nothing.

Checked the breaker for continuity - OK. Solenoid checked OK for continuity - read 9 Ohms resistance. Seat switch seems OK for cont. I'll have to check blade switch too I guess. Could starter be a problem even though it did start and I ran it for a good 10 minutes once it started?