Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

damon91

paint

damon91

I amgoing to be doing my first spray job. From what I have been reading you guys are making the van sickle paint look pretty good. I was looking on their website and I see they offer a acrylic and a alkyd enamel. I was just wondering which one you guys were using. From what I have been reading, they say acrylic is diffucult to work with for the beginner. And since this tractor will not be a daily user, I dont think fading will be a big issue. I just want something that is hard, durable, and is compatible with a amateur painter. any input would be appreciated.

Thanks

Damon

GLPointon

Welcome Damon, Since nobody else has chimed in here, I will.

I'm no pro but have done ALOT of painting in the past. I put a link below to a Paint topic I made a over a year ago.

My preference is Enamel Paints. So the following is about my enamels;

Enamel paint makes me look pro in that it is a Very Shiny finish and looks great if applied right. I used only "rattle can" paint in the link below. I've since gotten a HVLP spray gun. I like using it because you can mix hardener with your paint to speed what I call "setup time". Rattle can paint will setup just as hard but takes ALOT longer (like 3mos vs 1hr) so can paint is fine as long as you dont chip it for a few months :D The most important thing to know about Enamel paint is you MUST paint 2nd or 3rd coats with what I call "wet-on-wet" spraying. After your 1st coat you must apply the 2nd coat before the 1st starts to dry or it will wrinkle/crackle and be ruined (I've learned the hard way many times) this can also happen when using enamel and acrylics. So I use only enamel primer and paints.

Another application tip is apply enough paint. (but dont run it) I've seen paint jobs where its lines of shiny then rough then shiny then rough, etc...thats from spraying the lines too far apart. you want EVEN coverage, and I always change direction on the next coats...

If your not confidant then practice on another metal object 1st. the cost of some wasted paint is less than messing up a tractor project...Good Luck dOd

http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=119544