Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

16 HP CI oil leak

BLT

I have a 16 that developed an oil leak between the block and pan, also pretty healthy. Anyway replaced gasket about three weeks ago and todate was OK. Moved tractor out side to charge another tractor battery and guess what Mount Gushmore again. Generally I can handle situations, but at 73 removing engine more then once losses it luster. Do I go for replacing breather also or just copper cote pan gasket and reinstalled engine. Note I am of the nature, that gaskets were meant to be replaced without the aid of sealants and my batting record remains pretty high .

Bob, if you have a good record with no sealants, and you only got 3 weeks, I would look elsewhere. I would at least check the breather and maybe a compression test for a broken compression ring causing too much crank case pressure.

I agree about coating the gaskets other than some permatex to keep it in place. My motto is always; "Don't try to out engineer the engineers"

Blown gasket sounds like excessive crankcase pressure which usually means faulty crankcase breather..?

Dan with the so called "Compression Bump" on the camshaft, how can you tell if if you got good or mediocre compression?

My problem with 16 HP Briggs pans is the bolts don't want to stay tight. Don't really understand why since I torque them with the proper lock washers. When the bolts loosen the leaking begins. C

Bob, I couldn't give any definitive numbers.

I've heard guys say 70 to 80 pounds is good with the compression bump.

I've also heard Briggs doesn't give out numbers, only that if you spin it by hand up against the compression stroke and it bounces back, it should be good enough. That is how I check it. I don't have a compression tester so I've never checked one.

On the couple I've had that I knew broke rings, the spin test worked for me, they just stopped instead of bouncing back a bit.

Of course, the ones I had never blew out the pan gasket either. One did blow out the crank seal.

Well then, I have 85 PSI cold crank 45 deg ambient, and on a warm engine at a good majority of shut shutdowns I get get sharp rebounding.

I would think that is good compression.

I would have to guess the problem is either in the breather, or the bolts loosened like Carl said.

Maybe check the torque of the pan bolts still in the tractor, see if they loosened up, then the breather before you have to pull the engine.

Who would'a thunk, went right by Carl's post and guess what, two loose bolts. I never thought about that. That explains the delay in "Mount Gushmore". Well time for Loctite. Thanks for help.

Glad you found an easy fix Bob. One of the great thing about all the replies on this site, someone will bring up something you either never thought of or didn't think of this time around.

Oh, by the way, even guys with great batting averages strike out now and then. B)

Well got one bolt tightened and a questionable one, but that snugged up. Washed area with brake cleaner and then a rinse with MAP sensor cleaner that dries at a snap of a finger, After that, I laid down two beads of Seal All over the match line and let it set all night. This morning I ran it for a solid 20 minutes at WOT and nothing appeared. So far so good. That buys me some time to find a pan for Plan B if this doesn't turn out.dOd

haykarenhardy

Bob,

Have used Threebond Liquid Gasket 1194 on a 16 hp pan gasket, one season and no leaks (no paper gasket, just Threebond Liquid Gasket) My problem was a cam plug leaking, PO ground it to fit better.