Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

chunk out of the driveshaft

tobski

Hello,This machine has been welded on the frame where it attaches to bgb. The driveshaft has a chunk out of it, appears to have made contact with steering knuckle bolt. The two yellow arrows indicate what I'm talking about. Maybe when the frame cracked/broke the driveshaft hit the steering then or something... just thought I would post this because the snow and unfavorable painting temperatures has been keeping me inside.

0305132004-01.jpg

0305132004-00.jpg

0305132004-01.jpg.572a4584863389b51766bf9586348450.jpg

0305132004-00.jpg.241792494ec857cb8abfb1542d933976.jpg

Very common occurrence when something is loose along the driveshaft, ie: fiber discs, bgb input flange and/or bad input shaft bearings. There is very little clearance between the driveshaft and steering. Think I still have one or two like this on my shelf though they may have hit the discard pile already.

Front bearing in the bgb should be bad or the engine has a bad bearing or bent crank.

If it were from a broken frame, the shaft should be worn all the way around from being out of alignment.

That one was wobbling badly since it's only worn on 1 side.

thanks for the info everyone, I can tell you the flange is bad and play in the bgb input shaft may be a bit more than it should.

Something looks funny to me. If the driveshaft was hitting something, it would result in a uniform groove around the driveshaft because the shaft is spinning. The picture looks like a groove on one side only, almost like someone thought the clearance was too little and took the driveshaft out and ground it down for more clearance. Only way you'd get a groove on one side only would be for the driveshaft to have a lot of radial runout or wobble.

quote:Something looks funny to me. If the driveshaft was hitting something, it would result in a uniform groove around the driveshaft because the shaft is spinning. The picture looks like a groove on one side only, almost like someone thought the clearance was too little and took the driveshaft out and ground it down for more clearance. Only way you'd get a groove on one side only would be for the driveshaft to have a lot of radial runout or wobble.id="quote">
id="quote">

Agree. Was thinkin' the same thing.