Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

12 hyp briggs died while running

Allisgrandson

I was running my loader tractor to warn the oil for an oil change and the engine died. When it shut down, it sounded just like when the of switch is engaged. There is no spark present, and I've changed the spark plug and condenser.

Any ideas?

We need more info...

*These wont spark if its not cranking fast enough.

*check & regap or replace the points. I like to turn it over & actually see the points open/close.

*the condenser is a biggie on these...make sure its good or new

*like Bryan said make sure the "kill circuit" isnt grounding. That can be a bad ignition switch, or the kill wire pinched in the points housing cover, or anyplace else on the tractor. disconnect it at the connector tab outside the points cover. (if it starts then you'll have to ground the spark plug to the head w/a screwdriver to kill it...old school)

*possibly the mag...last resort...unless, did it overheat? and mouse condos? Severe overheat can fry the magnito or burn a wire...

Good Luck sm01

Thanks guys. I'll check the kill wire. I don't think it was pinched. I didn't see any evidence of that. The tractor was sitting still when it died. I'll get the kill wire unhooked and I think I'll replace the switch that's wired in, as it also feels a little 'off'.

Thank you for the advise. I disconnected the kill wire and had spark back. I replaced the old, loose switch, reconnected the kill wire, and she started right up.