Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

1690039 tiller and belt.

hamman01

I just finished installing the 5" drive pulley on my Homelite T-16H. It has the Simplicity belt # 105340 wich according to the data provided is 96.1 " long, and is the correct belt for the tiller. I have the rear lift assy. that came with it. It is attached properly and the belt is routed correctly. The problem is that even in the disengaged position it still runs, runs good enough to till with (which I have done). When I engage the arm it doesn't snap all the way into the engaged position and it still runs. Any idea what I might of done wrong? Any idea how to correct it. Thanks. Roger.

Generally when something rotates when it isn't supposed to, a belt stop or guide is missing. What is your tractor product number?

You sure it is a 1690039 tiller? I thought the earlier versions of the 36" tillers had the clutch on the tiller only and when they went to the 1690039 the clutch being used was the cone clutch on tractor. At Least none of the 1690039 36" tillers I have owned had the clutch on the tiller.

The tiller below has the clutch on the tiller and shows how to adjust. Is your T16 Homelite a Allis or simplicity built? I am assuming an Allis built since you said you installed the 5" pulley and the Simplicity built has a cone clutch.

990503 tiller with clutch

http://bsintek.basco.com/BriggsDocumentDisplay/heCBEN8arG2rE3Cvh5kbp796Dq.pdf

1690039 tiller operators manual.

http://bsintek.basco.com/BriggsDocumentDisplay/heCyEN8bqM2rE3Cvh5kbp796Dq.pdf

Thanks Ray. Yes it is a 1690039 tiller. My Homelite is a Allis built tractor. I have an older Allis tiller that I took the clutch of of and put on this tiller. It works great but it just doesn't seem to let the belt slack enough to let tension off the belt so it woun't run disengaged. I have measured everything on both tillers and they are within a 1/16th on my measurements. I can use it as it is I would just like to be able to run it around the yard without the tiller running. It has been a long argous journey getting the tractor running due to cancer and other things. I am so glad to have it running and able to use it to till with. I plan on using the tractor to mow with also, so the tiller is just a bonus. I'm sure I just don't have something right at this time. I have belt stops on it but they don't seem to make a difference. I may have them in the wrong spots. I don't have a picture or instructions on where to place the stops only that they should be 1/16" away from the belt. I will keep trying to get it right. Thanks for the help. Roger.

i guess I'm not savy enough to post a picture. Still trying. If someone wants to send me an email to mine I will email a picture. I tried RayS instruction but I can't get it to work. If you don't have the email let me know. Thanks. Roger.

quote:Originally posted by hamman01

Thanks BLT I appreciate it. Roger.

id="quote">
id="quote">Here are your pictures. First of all you need a resizer program to get your picture sizes below 100K.

Hammantillera.jpg

Hammantillerb.jpg

Hammantillerc.jpg

Hammantillerd.jpg

That belt looks plenty loose enough to disengage so...

First, you need a second belt stop below your driven pulley, then adjust them both to about 1/8" away from a tight belt.

What they need to do, is essentially hold the loose belt in a loop just larger than the pulley.

A belt that long and heavy will "drive" just from the weight of it hanging down.

Especially if your pulley is painted or has rust in the groove. Both will "grab" even a loose belt. Make sure the groove is shiny and smooth.

My tiller mounted on the B-112 does the same thing. I have learned to live with it. It stops instantly if the tines touch anything, but I am careful to stay clear of anything tender such as my wife's flowers.:D

Thanks BLT ! You can't see it but there is another belt stop at the bottom of the drive pulley. I think I will have to move it to the back a short distance. It is a new drive pulley and is painted. I will move the belt stop and readjust to your measurements rokon. Thanks to all for the help I will update after moving bottom belt stop.

BLT there is a disconnect (clutch) it just doesn't show in these pictures. I took the side shot of the tiller to low to get it in. With that in mind, do they make a handle that can be attached so you can engage,disengage the tiller from the seat? If so and someone has a picture they could post I would like to duplicate it. Just got done making the new belt stop and will install it shortly. Thanks. Roger.

A big thanks to BLT, RayS,and rokon and anyone else I may have missed. I made a second longer belt stop and adjusted them as you said and it works great. I used to work on this stuff back in the 70s when my dad, brothers and I sold these along with our HVAC business. I have always had my hands in small engines but after getting away from it for a career as a LEO I forgot a lot. I really appreciate all your help. Maybe I can help some of you some day with something else. Thanks. Roger.