Jump to content

Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  

I should have known better

Recommended Posts


My number 2 simplicity 7117 started giving me problems the other day. It would start right up but the starter wouldn't disengage, so I jumped right to the conclusion that the starter drive must be bad. I did learn that you can get the starter out without taking the engine out, just take out the mounting bolts out and lift it up about as far as it will go and you can slide the starter right out the front. Anyway, checking ebay for a starter drive found that a new starter from dbelectric was only $58 compared to $28 for just the drive, I ordered a new starter. I came in about 4 days and I put it in only to have the very same problem. Only other thing it could be was the solenoid, off to NAPA for one put it on and what do you know, works perfect. Should have checked that first, I was taught to check the easiest and least expensive things first, can't recall why I didn't do that. Anyway, works great now and next time I'll check the solenoid first.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Those cheapie solenoids on garden tractors drive me crazy I usually replace them with the automotive type used on Fords back in the 60's they last forever.Also Garden tractor battery cables are poor quality anymore,usually just go with an automotive type.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

I did a similar repair on my 66 Chevelle back in 74. Turned out the battery terminals were dirty. I had a good laugh and learned a lesson.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't feel so bad. I had the opposite problem when getting my tractor ready for spring. Starter would spin but not engage. After getting out the DMM and testing a few things, it occurred to me to check the battery. Without my glasses, I had connected it backwards! Once I took care of that, it wouldn't put out power. Terminal was corroded from shorting. Sometimes, it's the simple things.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

My gthl would spin and not engauge. I would have to routinely have to open the tin, take a screw driver and move it to the engauged position, spray with carb cleaner to clean it off, and spray it with triflow oil with silocone. It seems that it would get dirty and stick. It was always in spring after all the crud from fall leaf cutting and the first warm day it would act up. If you are patient, you can do the starter without pulling the motor. I know, I did it. Its kinda an adult game of operation, but it can be done!:D

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

  • Who's Online (See full list)

    • GregB
    • bruker1
    • BLT
    • SmilinSam
  • Today's Birthdays

    1. B-16_IC
      (46 years old)
    2. Flannelman
    3. Glen112
      (71 years old)
  • Recent Status Updates

    • Bubba1997


      Searching for a Sleeve hitch and breaking plow and other equipment if price is right and also a deck for a B1 thank you 
      · 3 replies
    • Dean McFadden

      Dean McFadden

      Good morning peeps! I’m always searching for helpful information with my AC collection. Hope to find out new information and pass on my own experience in restoration. Here are some pics of my babies. I’m still looking for front rims for the 410 so yesterday I put the 310 wheels on took it for a drive. Working pretty good but still needs some carb work. Gotta get the 310 running next. Have a great day!😁

      · 1 reply
  • Adverts