Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

I should have known better

Tonyvdb

My number 2 simplicity 7117 started giving me problems the other day. It would start right up but the starter wouldn't disengage, so I jumped right to the conclusion that the starter drive must be bad. I did learn that you can get the starter out without taking the engine out, just take out the mounting bolts out and lift it up about as far as it will go and you can slide the starter right out the front. Anyway, checking ebay for a starter drive found that a new starter from dbelectric was only $58 compared to $28 for just the drive, I ordered a new starter. I came in about 4 days and I put it in only to have the very same problem. Only other thing it could be was the solenoid, off to NAPA for one put it on and what do you know, works perfect. Should have checked that first, I was taught to check the easiest and least expensive things first, can't recall why I didn't do that. Anyway, works great now and next time I'll check the solenoid first.

Those cheapie solenoids on garden tractors drive me crazy I usually replace them with the automotive type used on Fords back in the 60's they last forever.Also Garden tractor battery cables are poor quality anymore,usually just go with an automotive type.

I did a similar repair on my 66 Chevelle back in 74. Turned out the battery terminals were dirty. I had a good laugh and learned a lesson.

Don't feel so bad. I had the opposite problem when getting my tractor ready for spring. Starter would spin but not engage. After getting out the DMM and testing a few things, it occurred to me to check the battery. Without my glasses, I had connected it backwards! Once I took care of that, it wouldn't put out power. Terminal was corroded from shorting. Sometimes, it's the simple things.

My gthl would spin and not engauge. I would have to routinely have to open the tin, take a screw driver and move it to the engauged position, spray with carb cleaner to clean it off, and spray it with triflow oil with silocone. It seems that it would get dirty and stick. It was always in spring after all the crud from fall leaf cutting and the first warm day it would act up. If you are patient, you can do the starter without pulling the motor. I know, I did it. Its kinda an adult game of operation, but it can be done!:D