Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Calling all guys parting out tractors!!

AC712H

I have always wondered when guys part out tractors, what is done with the frames or other parts that usually don't sell? I have an extra frame and I would hate to just junk it. Any suggestions???

I have a few around, but they usually end up junked as much as I hate to.

Sometimes I use a good one to replace one that's pitted or been welded.

I've sold a couple for the same reason, customer wanted a better one.

Once in a while I might cut one up to use parts of it for other projects.

Same here...I try to sell them cheap and if I can't, the frames get scraped.

I myself am not a scrap fan and try to sell whole tractors whenever possible even if it means for less money then I could get if I parted them ...That being said, some tractors are good canidates for parting as it would cost more to restore then it would be worth...to each his own.

quote:Originally posted by AC712H

Interesting idea, wish you lived closer I would hook you up with some frames

id="quote">
id="quote">Thanks, I have plenty of junk here myself but still need to learn how to use the welder first;)

I don't usually throw away "any" Large-Frame parts. Of course I do not cannibalize tractors and sell the parts either. I build my tractors from parts. None of them have been operational when I got them. Most were just a pile of parts from several different tractors.

One could use it to make a 'stretch' model. i.e. like the one with two diver wheel axles.

Many years ago, say back in the 1930s and 40's, farmers needing more horsepower than any manufacturer was making, would take two tractor frames, articulate them together to make a poor man's four wheel drive.

They'd make a frame for the back tractor's front tricycle axle to rest upon and pivot. Then remove the from tricycle axle from the front tractor, since the weight of the back tractor effectively suspended the front tractors' front-end. I think steering was done by use of the foot brakes, braking right or left to turn. Next was the process of linking both transmissions and engine controls.

Wouldn't that look cool? An articulated FWD B-10 or.. B-10-10.

I would love an articulated 4WD Allis 700 or 900 series!! I am thinking I will use old frame to stretch some of my tractors. Who knows!!