Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Re-purpose

GrincheyOne

Although the 42" blade works reasonably well on my 4212. The other day I thought I would try the 46" trip blade. Woe is meXX(, The lift bracket on the 46", does not meet up with the lift rod on the 4212.Looking around for something suitable to use for a bracket extension, I settled on one of the rear lift vertical members off my parts machine ('65 Big Ten). A little bending, drilling, and fitting ensued. Mounted flush to the 46" blade lift bracket provided no clearance near the 4212 grill. Needed some spacers between the bracket pieces. Umm how about those 8 defective bearings from the weed cutter, cluttering up the workbench ! Why not? Add three grade-8 7/16-14 cap screws. Now there is a solution! ;)

Dscn0556.jpg

Yes! the trip blade is need of some TLC (later this year?). Let you know, this weekend, how this blade performs with the added leverage, and funtionality of the 46" trip blade!Cheers,

Dscn0556.jpg.3684e99bca1805f708a5c011c61a0032.jpg

Jim said the perfect phrase! Love those "Senior Engineering" Projects.Nice work Wayne...........

quote:Originally posted by JimDk

Hmmmmm! Looks like "senior engineering" to me.:D:D:DGood job, Wayne.

id="quote">
id="quote">

"Senior Engineering" doesn't sound politically correct...how about "Chronologically Blessed Alternate Construction Method" :D

Nice job Wayne dOd

Do you have a control rod for the big plow? If not send me a PM I may have one here for ya Buddy sm01 (I still owe you a favor)

Greg,

"Chronologically Blessed Alternate Construction Method" is about all I have to work with, ever since the Cardiologist said "NO ark welding w/ the pace maker"! Also being "budget challenged", using the bearings in place of spacers offset the cost of the grade-8 bolts at ACE! (gave my old Craftsman stick welder to my next door neighbor, in return for his driving me around, when I was not allowed).

Cheers,

Wayneid="Book Antiqua">id="size4">

Getting some seat time with the 46" blade on my 400'+ driveway, I found I had overlooked wheel clearance for the RH tire. This will necessitate I do

some drilling to shift the #1657663SM Bracket Assembly, from the 42" blade hitch, forward to gain the clearance.There is always some tweaking to do!

My former director always said "when all else fails, cut to fit, paint to match".:o)

Also working on mounting a 65# counterweght, salvaged from a computer hard-drive cabinet:D

Cheers,

Originally posted by GLPointon

65lbs? now THATS a hard drive....or are you filling it w/concrete :D

id="size4">

Tuesday was an absolerily GR8 day for painting, 72*, a 5-10 MPH breeze, and no humidity to speak of. Here is the slab of steel, after a coat of Rust Reformer, A coat of Automotive primer, two coats of "Chevy Orange" Engine enamal, followed by a liberal coat of Clear Coat. Just hung out to dry on my "high tech" painting rig!

Dscn0559.jpg

Now this is one mean hybid rear weight and hitch pin. All that is remaining is to add the diagonal white striping, and a coat of reflecting sealer.This is all my "stuff"; starting with the '69 2110 under cover (left), and proceding to the right to the HD AC tiller. missing are the weed cutter, '68 2110, and the '65 BigTen (parts donor)

Dscn0562.jpg

hopefully today it will be a wrap!:D:D:DWayneid="Book Antiqua">id="size4">

Dscn0559.jpg.1f01f9fa84e7b1067409a3fe4776d3a4.jpg

Dscn0562.jpg.f80699acad1840b01675975eb63c27cd.jpg

Yesterday I finished drilling extra holes for the mounting bracket, and got the blade back onto the 4212. It was a help having the new 90 degree adapter for the dremel to get into those tight spaces for pilot holes.. Still had to drop the front spindles to use the larger bits (3/8") for the hitch pins.

Tested today on the depressed portion of the rear lawn, before the rain came. The blade works great now that the RH wheel can clear the bracket. The 65# block of steel helps with the traction. AGs would be a plus! One thing, however, with the extended lifting bracket, the leverage from the "armstrong" lift lever has decreased. I guess I'll have to install the helper spring. Electric lift install comes after the '69 LL is rewired and running. Always something!

Did a test fit of the weight, the bungee straps help, but it does need brackets to really stabilize it. (looking at some old bed frames for the steel)Here is the weight with the stripes, not really sure if that reflective over coating works after two coats, may need more.

Dscn0580.jpg

Back again, once I make the brackets...Cheers and a Gr8 weekend!Wayneid="Book Antiqua">id="size4">

Dscn0580.jpg.29b483c979cc4e7c0070659443b36da2.jpg

Wayne that will make an awesome traction & counterweight for the big plow...Nice job on the paint/stripes dOd

ps...No, I have not touched the blasting cabinet yet. Between work & finishing my B12 project & getting my garden in, I've had a massive time shortage sm00

Looks good, Wayne.

If that bed angle is steel that we rolled where I used to work, good luck drilling and cutting it. The crap that we made was hard as glass. We re-rolled worn out rr track. It's high nickle and carbon stuff. We sold many tons to the bed companies. A cut-off wheel and carbide drills are required.

Originally posted by JimDk

Looks good, Wayne. If that bed angle is steel that we rolled where I used to work, good luck drilling and cutting it. The crap that we made was hard as glass. We re-rolled worn out rr track. It's high nickle and carbon stuff. We sold many tons to the bed companies. A cut-off wheel and carbide drills are required.

id="size4">

Yeah, cold and wet in West PA. A threat of frost tonight, there goes our fruit for this year. What have I done to deserve this?wah

I have no tractor projects for "Show and Tell", but I did complete my Dodge Dakota tractor hauler project. I am officially naming it "Buyers Remorse".:( After the weather warms, I'll wash it and post a picture in "Shop Talk". There are too many greasy finger prints from months of futile wrenching.

First there were bed frames. Another workmate could have made the slicing and diceing easier. The electric 3" cutoff tool went through the tough steel like it was butter.

Dscn0590.jpg

Then on to the Black Bull to drill out the rivets...And we have the guts of the weight bracketssm01

Dscn0593.jpg

and a messy workbench:o)Wayneid="Book Antiqua">id="size4">

Dscn0590.jpg.03f7d225dfdfef5c135aed0f6bf1dcf6.jpg

Dscn0593.jpg.86b38fbd506cf5e77836fe7990960223.jpg

Thursday, I checked the brackets for the weight. you guessed it ; They have to be modified to clear the seat-deck, when raised all the way! lost 8 hours on Wednesday, and 5 hours on Friday due to getting the at home computer network back on the air. Today was spent on round-the-house chores. Should get back to the brackets on Monday, since Tuesday will be spent at the polls for primary elections. Lord willing, I'll be back at it on Wednesday.

Wayne

• Who's Online (See full list)

• Darl Swartz
    • a_sannine
    • Snojetter
  • Recent Status Updates

• gwiseman

gwiseman

As you know SimpletrACtors.com has changed some recently. Working through this so PM me with questions, suggestions, and/or challenges you have. Appreciate your patience and feedback.
      · 0 replies
    • gwiseman

gwiseman

Site programming updates were made 3/23/2024. As a result some things have changed including dues payment options. We will continue maintenance and work with technicians to regain credit card payment option and clear up minor challenges. On positive it appears attaching pictures is now easier. Good day. Gene 
      · 1 reply
  • Adverts