Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

12 HP Briggs loses power when warm (edit 5-4-13

Allisgrandson

The headline basically says it all. This is the same tractor that I just had the kill switch issue in. When I replaced the switch, I was able to rev the engine to wide open and run the loader quite easily. After I ran the tractor for a few minutes, I had to start reducing the throttle down to the point that it was at an idle and that if I put it under any kind of load it would start to stall out, necessitating depressing the clutch and allowing the engine to recover itself.

Any idea of what the problem might be?

Getting enough fuel?

I'd start with new filter and possibly carb cleaning.

Sorry you are having problems with it.

Dan,

It's not your fault, I've had it for 8 months now. The switch was an easy fix, and the new switch is nice and shiny. It may be a fuel issue, as that little tank sits in there with no elbow. I'll find an elbow and see what I get.

No evidence of a mouse nest. The shroud looks clean.

Thanks for the advise.

A bad condensor will cause that problem.

If the above suggestions don't fix your problem, check the valve clearance. If the valves are border-line tight when cold, they gain a little length with heat and don't seal. You should have .009" intake, and .018" exhaust clearance. Check valves with the piston at tdc on compression stroke.

JimDK, you win the prize. I was running it yesterday in order to move my snowblower off of the lawn where I was too lazy to put it away properly when it died again. It died the same way it did a couple of weeks ago. I checked the spark and it was gone again, and I knew the switch was good this time.

I checked the kill wire, and still no spark. Darn. I decided to swap out the condenser, as I really /didn't/ wanted to swap out the coil. I swapped the condenser, and I got spark back. easy fix, right? Not so much. I started it, and it promptly died. Double darn.

I then remember that I had a Nova II on my early B10 that wasn't running. I put it on, HOT spark, and the engine revs all the way up. I inadvertently fixed the weak running engine! I put a starter button in also, so I now have a strong running engine, a new on/off switch, and a starter button; no touching wires to the solenoid for me anymore!!

I also put the belt guide on the rear end, so no more getting off of the tractor every few minutes to put the belt back on. This old Homelite T10(12) with a Kwikway is close to Cadillac status! minus the horribly sloppy steering, but I'm used to that. All of my old girls wobble all over.

The only question that I have is, will a coil that's going bad cause the condensers to go bad?

Thanks for all of the advice!