Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

sunstar rear PTO and tiller?

mike_sdak

I am looking at larger frame garden tractors, and weighing options. The sunstars look good, but the attachments seem rare to me. I would like a tiller, most especially. How rare is it to find a rear PTO and tiller for a sunstar or ultima?

Just curious,

Mike,

I can't answer your question about Sunstars and Ultima's, but a 7118 can handle a tiller and it is considered a large frame tractor.

Rick....

quote:How rare is it to find a rear PTO and tiller for a sunstar or ultima?id="quote">
id="quote">

Generally, you have a better chance of findin' some Hen's teeth layin' around.

The Sovereign series tractors would be the best way to accomplish what you are trying to do, both for availability, and at a much more reasonable cost.

Well,

Here is the deal: I have a 917 with a blower, tiller and two extensions, but am thinking about a heavier-duty setup, particularly for tilling.

I ran across a pretty rough sunstar with a deck, blower and vac cart, but no tiller or rear PTO. The blower should be an upgrade from my 42", and the vac cart should be handy for pickup of leaves, etc, but I don't know if I would be much better than what I have already...

PS: I also looked at a 400 JD with blower and 3-pt tiller, but the price tag on that one is about $4k.

Mike,

How large of a garden are you trying to till? The 917 is basically the same as a Sovereign tractor. That tractor you have should be up to almost any task.

Sovereign tractors and Landlord tractors are very common and finding attachments for them will be very easy. Several members have upgraded the motor and report no problems.

If you feel you are low on power I would upgrade the motor before I you trade the 917 in.

I use to blow my 700 foot drive way for many years with a 42 inch blower. First with a 7012 and later with a 7118. I was never lacking in power. Yes I did upgrade to a Legacy with a 47 inch blower, but that was to reduce my seat time. It can take me up to two and half hours to clear my driveway and paths. Yes I move a lot of snow.

Rick......

Rick,

My 917 has a briggs single 16 which has performed pretty well since I swapped the motor. It probably could use a rebuild in the next year or two, but it should be fairly reasonable to do so, compared to a tired magnum 20 (in the sunstar). I think the power is decent out of the 16.

The tiller on the 917 has worked pretty well, although it is slower due to the need to overlap for the chain housing.

The blower on the sunstar is a two stage, which I think is the same as the legacy blower? I don't know how it stacks up to my 42" single stage.

You could look for a 38" HD tiller. Should be in the $500 range. They are driven from the outside, so no overlap for the chain housing, and if they are nothing else, they are absolutely HD. I think they weigh about 300#'s, and they are pretty bulletproof. Again, your 917 should handle it just fine (if you can keep the front end down 8D).

Up here Sunstar attachments seem to be rare, but I've had luck with the PTO's and lift kits.

I have a nice 3 point hitch and 2000rpm PTO I will be listing here, and ebay. Also have an engine speed PTO and sleeve hitch on an AGCO I'm working on getting next.

quote:Originally posted by mike_sdak

Anyone have an HD tiller they would be willing to part with? sm01

id="quote">
id="quote">You would probably get a better response by placing an ad in the classifieds.