Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

A sucker for simplicity

locknut

I stopped by the kubota dealer a few days ago and noticed an old Broadmoor sitting around back where the trade-ins usually are so I hopped out and checked it out.16HP twin w/foot hydro-controlled traction rear.Fired right up,sounded good,hydro was strong and the deck kicked in and sounded good.The bad-oil was slung all over the underside,pto,and pooled on the deck.I asked my sales guy if it was for sale-he said naw,going to wholesale it.Told me he'd take 200,so I told him I'd go get the trailer.

Got it all blowed off with the pressure washer and had a buddy come over from work and looked it over.We decided it was a bad crank seal,which is cheap and easy to fix.I was off today so I worked over the deck-new blades,repainted the topside and blasted,rust convertered and bedliner coated the bottom side.Cleaned and waxed everything else.

When my buddy come over after work we put the new seal in and replaced the hydro drive belt.The hour meter shows 307 and the oil filter has 304 written on it,so I assume the use is correct.Steering is tight and the pedals show hardly any wear.Runs and drives like a new one now.Only thing it needs now is some headlites and I bid $76 today on ebay and lost the auction.Insane XX(

To me,bringing a Simplicity back from disrepair is like taking in a cold,wet stray and nursing it back to health.Just can't resist sm01

002-3_zps1af6e8d7.jpg

001-4_zps2a81ad07.jpg

Can't complain about that! Even has AG's! Gotta be the first late model Broadmoor I've seen with a set of those.

That's similar to my "daily driver". Most of them are missing the headlights, for one reason or another.

I wanted to buy one like that about twelve years ago. I didn't do it 'cause I didn't want to spend the 3 grand. Very nice job!

I went ahead and ordered a new headlite assy for it.Cost the same as a used cracked one on ebay.The install on this is a real treat }:)

The only way to get it in is to remove the top portion of the hood,set the assy in,then set the hood in place and tape the whole front up good with duct tape so it doesn't try to fly apart,as the hood has to be open completely to get the bolts back in.A helper would be really nice for this operation to hold things together,as it wants to spring apart everywhere.

let there be light :)

002-3_zps79b5c38c.jpg

Forgot to mention,I can see why the lights are broke or missing on these tractors.With all the flexing going on with normal use,the plastic tabs all around the fixture will break,then it falls out.Poorly engineered IMHO.

I wonder, if you were to set the assembly in clear silicone when assembling, if that would help with the flex and keep it in place? Or do you have to pull the assembly to change bulbs?

I know you're just dyin' to pull it apart again and reset it.8D

Had to replace one on my Landlord. Couldn't see why it broke, should be stronger than a tree branch8D8D8D. Spent a little time replacing it. Stayed away from tree branches and didn't have any more problems with itsm00sm00

Nice job Greg! Wow, hydro, traction control & looks good too!

The flimsy plastic sounds like the cowling on my Coronet I project I found. I looks good but the flexing has broken off every connection point ngr2

I hope this is not the case but if that unit was built around 97 or so, I would pull it back down and check the crankshaft for side play.

On mine, (the one that was crushed when the tornado came through)

Simplicity had some electric PTO clutches that went bad and lost ground. They then grounded through the crankshaft and this would fry the main bearing surface.

I was not sent a recall notice etc and all I knew was that I loved that mower and it was perfect until it started leaking oil badly. I replaced the seal and never noticed the bad bearing but I did notice the oil was still going everywhere. I pulled the engine and found the damage.

As I said, I hope this isn't the case with your machine, but with it looking just like mine and having the bad oil leak I thought I should mention it. Good luck.

Tarheel;

Thanks for the warning but I think that seal fixed that leak.I mowed some heavy grass nearby to see how it would do and it seemed ok.Blowed all the grass off and checked a few hours later and didn't see leaks anywhere.Then,two days later I notice a big oil spot on the floor and oil puddled on the frame pan on the right side.Cleaned everything good and started and let run for 10-15 min this evening.Also drained some oil out as it was above the line on the dipstick.Maybe that caused it,don't know.

quote:Originally posted by Brettw

I wonder, if you were to set the assembly in clear silicone when assembling, if that would help with the flex and keep it in place? Or do you have to pull the assembly to change bulbs?I know you're just dyin' to pull it apart again and reset it.8D

id="quote">
id="quote">Brett,I don't think me and a tube of silicone mixed in with this project would have ended well.Having said this,A formed silicone gasket between the assembly and the sheet metal parts would have been a great idea to isolate all the twisting forces of the front end that eventually trashes the fixture.The bulbs are easy to change-twist,pop out sockets on the backside.

Greg, the mid to late 80's must have been an adventure in Plasticville, to compete with the cheap off shore products at that time. My 4212 has separate lights in the grille, the lights have a bad habit of losing ground, and only support 9W bulbs. The plastic rim of the grill is very prone to damage. Another flip up hood!XX(

Good luck with your new machine.Impressive find!

Wayneid="Book Antiqua">id="size4">

Well, Greg, I so happen to have done the same thing as you have. A Broadmoor, 14 Command, Hydro gear trans, new battery. PO said the electric PTO wouldn't engage. Clutch pedal wouldn't return, misc.

For a single Benjamin I thought it was a steal. 8D

Anyway, pulled all the connections apart, tested the PTO, it clicked right in. Cleaned up switches, connections, etc. Works like a champ. Someone had the linkage for the pedal apart and it was all hair-balled up. It wasn't even connected to the idler pulley, so there was no disengagement of the drive belt when depressed. I am trying to figure out exactly how it goes together properly. I reassembled it the way I think it should be, but am having a slight issue with interference with the linkage when in reverse. Only other issue is the lower capscrew holding the fuel pump in place is stripped out and there is some oil seepage. Does anyone know if a Helicoil would work on such a small bolt?

Soonzits done, it's off to my 84 year old Uncle's place, he killed his Murray last fall.

ive worked on several of those machines they aren't to bad to work on. but keep that front end greased they aren't all that cheap to replace spindles on.

seen alot of them wore out on used tractors. so keep up with the maintence.

great save, and yes the headlights arn't cheap either.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• RedbarnRick
  • Recent Status Updates

• gwiseman

gwiseman

As you know SimpletrACtors.com has changed some recently. Working through this so PM me with questions, suggestions, and/or challenges you have. Appreciate your patience and feedback.
      · 0 replies
    • gwiseman

gwiseman

Site programming updates were made 3/23/2024. As a result some things have changed including dues payment options. We will continue maintenance and work with technicians to regain credit card payment option and clear up minor challenges. On positive it appears attaching pictures is now easier. Good day. Gene 
      · 1 reply
  • Adverts