Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
landlord2110

bearing from mower spindle

landlord2110

How do you get old bearings out-can you use a metal rod same dia. of bearing or smaller & pound out end till one bearing comes out & flip over & pound out other bearing?

006.jpg

006.jpg.e9bbfaf702b67e48dc93057fbf28b79f.jpg

RayS

They tap in pretty easy. Try to find something like a socket that is near the same size O.D. as the bearing or a flat piece of steel bigger than the bearing. You kind of want to avoid pounding on the center of the bearing race. The out diameter is ok or across the whole bearing.

landlord2110

oil inside each bearing & 15lb mall still wont only move 1/4" each side. any ideas to help-been in 45 yrs. they are original.

landlord2110

figured it out finally-any thing I need to do before putting back together-do I pack tube housing with extra grease,etc.?

timflury

If there are no grease fittings on it, I would pack it full of grease.

Or, You could buy the proper drill bit and a small pipe tap and install grease fittings.

The grease will keep moisture out.