Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
onebadfish

Sunrunner, no power, burns oil

onebadfish

Hello all,

I bought a sunrunner a couple summers ago. It has the 8hp bs with 5 speed gearbox. It had always been what I would call underpowered then last summer the 8hp ventilated the block. C I took it to someone to look at repowering it and I let him talk me into having the block welded up with a new piton and rings. After the job was done it burned alot of oil on startup and when under a load. I can only believe the rings have never set. Now the oil consumption is bad and it has no power. So bad that in 5th gear the sunrunner actually stops when the steering wheel is turned all the way in either direction. Any incline stops it dead. Also when the engine is under a load because of a grade or thick grass the smoke just pours out of it.

I would really like it be able to use the sunrunner but am not sure what my next move is. Is there anything I can do to convince the rings to seal aside from tearing it down? Is it time to consider a repower? If so what would be a good replacement that would be easy to drop in? If I go that way I want to be sure it has power to spare.

I am stumped about it just stopping, can a drive belt slip and cause this? I don't hear a belt squealing so am thinking the lack of power is a compression issue related to the rings.

Would appreciate any and all suggestions.

Thank you

Multiplicity

....I'm going to guess that std OEM rings were installed, replace

them with the Chrome Set, it will usually eliminate the difficult

oil consumption and smoking....The Chrome Rings have more separate pieces to them and will follow poor bore surfaces.....

Ronald Hribar

Mine would just stop also

And then I have the 12 hp

Dropped in 23 hp Vanguard

They had 16 hp at one time

Added lug tires then bigger lug tires

It does not stop anymore

I do have 2 12 hp motors that came out of Sun Runner

Just realized yours is 5 speed. I have hydros

onebadfish

Wow, thanks for the insight, I think I am going to sell it then. I am not willing to go to 23 hp to get it to cut grass, I don't ask anything else from it and I think that is more than I am willing to go through.I have 2 7100's a 17 and a 14 and they will both dig their way to china before they even consider stopping under any load I put them under. I was considering a 12hp change out but doesn't sound like that will buy me anything other than an expense and a bunch of labor.

quote:Originally posted by Ronald Hribar

Mine would just stop alsoAnd then I have the 12 hpDropped in 23 hp VanguardThey had 16 hp at one timeAdded lug tires then bigger lug tiresIt does not stop anymoreI do have 2 12 hp motors that came out of Sun RunnerJust realized yours is 5 speed. I have hydros

id="quote">
id="quote">

onebadfish

Thanks, I really did not want to have to go back in the engine, I think I am going to sell it.

quote:Originally posted by Multiplicity

.....I'm going to guess that std OEM rings were installed, replacethem with the Chrome Set, it will usually eliminate the difficultoil consumption and smoking....The Chrome Rings have more separate pieces to them and will follow poor bore surfaces.....

id="quote">
id="quote">

bud119195

Look for a old mtd or craftsman with a 12 hp briggs you can usually pick them up cheap and motor should bolt in with out any major modifications to it.My 12hp sunrunner has plenty of power to cut the grass with the 36" deck

onebadfish

Ok thanks Bud, this is a good idea, I was pretty frustrated earlier. There is nothing worse than having a tool that does not work properly. I am working on the deck for my 7117 so it was my only hope to get the grass cut. Maybe I will look for a 12 as you suggested, I really love the look of the sunrunner and it lays down a fantastic cut, is complete with the lead weights under the staked deck in back, pretty cool machine just frustrated...and it keeps the mosquito's at bay currently ^

quote:Originally posted by bud119195

Look for a old mtd or craftsman with a 12 hp briggs you can usually pick them up cheap and motor should bolt in with out any major modifications to it.My 12hp sunrunner has plenty of power to cut the grass with the 36" deck

id="quote">
id="quote">

jmhusby

I had a 16/48 front cut with the 4 bucket collection system and it never lacked for power. Used a friends 12/42 several times and it never lacked for power anytime. A 12hp should do you fine. Am looking for 16/48 to mow around my pine trees again but they are scarce. Of course of we keep getting May snow storms I won't have much to mow around:(!:(!

onebadfish

Thanks good to know, I had a bad attitude yesterday after it took me 3 hours to mow a half acre and alot of shifting into first to get it to move. I love the look of the sunrunner, it is so unique and it really leaves a nice cut. I am on the hunt for a suitable 12hp to get it back in action. I should have my 48" deck back together today and back on the 7117 so can finish cutting.

quote:Originally posted by jmhusby

I had a 16/48 front cut with the 4 bucket collection system and it never lacked for power. Used a friends 12/42 several times and it never lacked for power anytime. A 12hp should do you fine. Am looking for 16/48 to mow around my pine trees again but they are scarce. Of course of we keep getting May snow storms I won't have much to mow around:(!:(!

id="quote">
id="quote">

Ronald Hribar

I do have a hill to climb and would have settled for a 16 hp

But 23 came along at right price

Have 42 deck and Bagger

So needed the extra power

I do have a 12 hp that will drop in

For the price of shipping

mtoney

I am wondering if its also puking oil out the bottom seal and getting the belts oily, that would explain the stopping without any belt squeel. Even a weak engine should move it in high gear unless the motor totaly stalls out and shuts off. If its not moving yet the engine is still running, no belt squeel, then I am betting on a loose pully spinning on a shaft or an oil soaked belt. I mowed for 2 seasons on a 3108 that fogged away the skeeters quite well, but never had real power or stopping issues, but boy did it smoke! I bet you will find something else when you pull the 8hp off. Watch Craigslist for cheap riders to salvage an engine off or. Or if you have a local ma/pa mower shop, stop in there and ask, many times they will have extra engines for sale. I know our local shop has a whole room of extra engines, espicaly vertical shaft Briggs engines. Mike

onebadfish

Ron,I will PM you I am interested, thank you for the offer.

quote:Originally posted by Ronald Hribar

I do have a hill to climb and would have settled for a 16 hpBut 23 came along at right priceHave 42 deck and Bagger So needed the extra powerI do have a 12 hp that will drop inFor the price of shipping

id="quote">
id="quote">

onebadfish

Thanks for the thoughts Mike, good stuff. I can relate to bug control with this for sure. I will inspect the belt and see if that is contributing but I have a couple of good hills that I think the 12hp would level out for me.

quote:Originally posted by mtoney

I am wondering if its also puking oil out the bottom seal and getting the belts oily, that would explain the stopping without any belt squeel. Even a weak engine should move it in high gear unless the motor totaly stalls out and shuts off. If its not moving yet the engine is still running, no belt squeel, then I am betting on a loose pully spinning on a shaft or an oil soaked belt. I mowed for 2 seasons on a 3108 that fogged away the skeeters quite well, but never had real power or stopping issues, but boy did it smoke! I bet you will find something else when you pull the 8hp off. Watch Craigslist for cheap riders to salvage an engine off or. Or if you have a local ma/pa mower shop, stop in there and ask, many times they will have extra engines for sale. I know our local shop has a whole room of extra engines, espicaly vertical shaft Briggs engines. Mike

id="quote">
id="quote">

Brettw

If this is a 5 speed, and the Sunrunner stops without the engine killing, it is another issue besides enough power, regardless of the mosquito fogger. As stated above, slipping belt, bad shaft keys, something. I could see a weak hydro stopping moving while the engine ran, but not a gear driven tractor, without a belt issue or other. It may smoke like a chimney, but it should not be an engine power issue keeping the tractor from moving.

onebadfish

Thank you Brett, point taken. It is a 5 speed and that makes perfect sense, will inspect the belts tomorrow. I am still going to change that engine out, it is using almost a quart in an hour of mowing, but you are correct the engine never looses rpm's or gets close to stalling, the tires just stop turning.

quote:Originally posted by Brettw

If this is a 5 speed, and the Sunrunner stops without the engine killing, it is another issue besides enough power, regardless of the mosquito fogger. As stated above, slipping belt, bad shaft keys, something. I could see a weak hydro stopping moving while the engine ran, but not a gear driven tractor, without a belt issue or other. It may smoke like a chimney, but it should not be an engine power issue keeping the tractor from moving.

id="quote">
id="quote">