Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

In the market for a new tractor, opinions????

ngale65

Ok, I know I'm treading on thin ice here but most of you are into quality tractors so should at least understand where i'm coming from. Im looking to get a new garden tractor to cut the grass. I would prefer a tractor to a zero turn as i would like to get a sweeper and a tiller perhaps down the road. About the only thing i have found that is a Diesel and either 4 wheel drive or 4 wheel steer is a Deere. Im looking at the x754 and the x758. The all wheel steer seems to be the most practical for my yard but the 4 wheel dive would be handy to. unfortunately cant get both with the diesel. anyone have any opinions. I had a 425 and a 455 which were both great. but sold them both with a nice profit so back to the drawing board.

If you are looking for a tractor to cut grass, the Simplicities are by far the best cut out there.

I was dreaming of one of these for a while. I think I had decided to go 4wd, but cant remember. Both are sweet machines. I was thinking that if it was manuverability I should go with a zeroturn, maybe a highspeed one like a grasshopper and if I had planned to use as tractor then the 4wd. In the end my wife hired someone to mow the lawn. That was probably the best choice!

I just helped an elderly local couple yesterday with their Legacy. Had the plow on, needed the deck mounted. First time I had dealt with such an endeavor with a Legacy Tractor. All I can say is, what a tank. Just a solid quality setup through and through, tractor, deck, etc. For what they cost, they should be, but I think one would not need to buy another tractor any time soon after purchasing one of these.

If you want 4wd and want to mow with it you can't beat the legacy xp in my book. Great tractor with an even better cut! Plus sweepsters+tillers are fairly easy to find used, or you can buy new. If you weren't going to mow with it then the jd could be in the picture, but for a quality cut that won't scalp your lawn, plus you can stripe with them, the simplicity is hard to beat. JMO. All comes down to what you want, happy buying!

• 2 weeks later...

Thirteen years ago I walked into a dealership to buy a brand new zero-turn green machine. I had my checkbook with me. It was only a matter which model I would take home. The sale never happened as my salesman turned me off. So I went home and looked in the classified ads and up popped a used Simplicity Broadmoor. Bought it three hundred fifty bucks which included a snow plow attachment. Today I still use that Broadmoor and my lawn is the nicest on the cul-de-sac. All my neighbors have replaced their *green* or *yellow* machines at least once. That's how my orange obsession started.

My name is Tacey and I have a lawn tractor problem.

I have a 2001 Simplicity Landlord DLX 20hp vanguard and 54" deck with power steering and diff lock, floorboard hydro pedals...you can run a tiller or snowblower or sweeper...plus a bunch of other stuff...Great machine! I picked mine up with 500 hrs on it for CHEAP!! cuz it needed an oil pan gasket...ha! dealer thought the engine block was cracked or something...IDIOTS!!!

Once you mow lawn with a zero turn, you will never go back to doing it with a garden tractor (at least if your lawn has some trees etc in it). Consider buying both a zero turn and a good garden tractor.

Two key questions, IMO:

1. How big a property to you need to maintain?

2. Do you have any hills? If so, IMO, do not even consider a ZTR unless it has dual hydraulic drive motors, one for each wheel. Even then, I prefer a tractor on slopes...

If you want awesome utility, with a built-in loader, you may want to consider a Power Trac, if you're willing to do all your own maintenance. Full line of quick-attach attachments for landscaping and light commercial use. Slope capability similar to a Steiner or Ventrac with much more capable loader. Full-time 4wd with articulated steering, they're almost as maneuverable as a ZTR (similar turning radius to 4-wheel steer).

But unfortunately if you insist on diesel, you have to go all the way up to the 30HP size to get one...