Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

do you paint the weight base when repainting a b10

tobski

Hello,

Do all you who repaint b-10 and similar tractors repaint the "weight, base" on the bottom front of the tractor frame, re grease it and then put it back on? Or do you leave it bare with no paint and regrease it then put back on...I took mine off to repaint this thing, When removed it seems it never really had paint on it in the first place. ( the side that mounts to the frame)

They call the weight base that sqareish piece of metal around a 1/2" thick mounted underside of the frame and above the front axle.

I think I got confused here, for some reason I thought this is a pivoting point, but am now thinking what I thought was grease was just oil runoff from the engine above.

I'm going to just paint it and put it back on.

Thanks

I tried deleting this post but couldnt.

I paint them. Mine have all appeared to have been painted from the factory.

Not sure why you would grease it though......???

It was oil from the engine. It is painted to match the frame, and simply bolted in. There should be NO moving parts, so grease is not needed.

From observing the plates removed from both my AC Big Ten, and Simplicity 2110 Landlord, I can only come to the conclusion, that the plates are mounted to the frame, prior to painting so the edges and bottom of the plate are painted along with the frame.If it were'nt for the oil migrating around the bolt holes, there would be some serious rust buildup between the two. Whatever you do, don't do anything to trap water moisture between the two for the next 40 years.

Cheers,

Wayne