Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Replacing a Command with a Vanguard

Gordan

So far, it looks like not such a terrible ordeal. The flywheel drive adapter from the Kohler has a different bolt center so I drilled it out to a smaller bolt center, and the hub diameter is 1/4" smaller so I'll need to locate some sort of short bushing with 1 7/8" OD and 1/8" thickness, maybe 1/4" height. As has been noted, the crankshaft is 1" lower (Actually 7/8") on the Vanguard. I'm not sure why noone seems to have gone this route so far, rather than getting the stub shaft and bolting a u-joint to it, and then worrying about how to attach to the driveshaft and where it's all going to fit?

The adapter from the Command is part number 2402909-S, by the way. Mine looks slightly different than the ones that come up when you search for this part number... the new part looks like it would actually be easier to adapt as there's more "shoulder room" where the bolt heads go. You get to use four bolts to the stub shaft's two, as well.

Hello, When I repowered My sovereign with triad, with 16 HP vanguard v-twin I used the plate that the old engine was bolted to to raise the Vanguard to the right height ,others have used aluminum blocks. Al Eden had conversion kits available .He also sold the riser plates separate.

any questions feel free to ask?

Ken in Mi

Yep, 918H. The Command is not in running shape, starter solenoid confirmed bad and possibly other issues. Don't have time to tinker with it now, and I wanted to eventually use this brand new propane 627cc Vanguard that I've had lying around, so this moved it to the top of the list. Figuring out where to mount the LP tank will be fun. :-)

Tough to fit much of a tank in there, even with the gas tank removed and battery relocated. I'll probably put it behind the seat for now and figure out a better place before I want to use the tiller.

I got some hard rubber blocks 1 3/4"-ish in diameter and 1" high and was going to use those as an engine mount, run the bolts through them and sandwich them between the engine mount plate and some fender washers and then put the engine on top of that. It should absorb some of the vibration, and properly torqued it shouldn't really flex much. Is this a terrible idea?