Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

scrapping cars with B-110 - pics added

perry

another round of scrap cars. these are close enough to my house i can drive the tractor to them. it's going to be a work out for the B-110 on these. the cars are 1000' off the road in a swampy area. i already pulled the boat out to the road. and will get the rest over the next few weeks. ill get more pics and video as i go.

cars014_zps4afb3f75.jpg

cars016_zps9afecc0f.jpg

cars027_zpsa752d4f9.jpg

cars028_zpsf224aa3b.jpg

cars029_zps44e9d79c.jpg

01cars002_zpsce7d250b.jpg

cars030_zps567226f0.jpg

If I were you, I'd pull any small parts off those and try selling them on eBay rather than scrapping them whole. Both the Corvair and the Fiat 124 have loyal followers, and there's not a lot of reproduction parts for either. Even things like chrome emblems can bring enough money to make it worthwhile...

I see things like original Corvair hubcaps, et.

quote:Originally posted by Kent

If I were you, I'd pull any small parts off those and try selling them on eBay rather than scrapping them whole. Both the Corvair and the Fiat 124 have loyal followers, and there's not a lot of reproduction parts for either. Even things like chrome emblems can bring enough money to make it worthwhile...I see things like original Corvair hubcaps, et.

id="quote">
id="quote">yes the parts will be scattered on ebay and the bodys scrapped. i have Fiat spyder parts from the first car piled in my garage right now.

The ground is real soft out there. I got the red corvair to move some yesterday but it hit a stump. it has two flat tires and sitting in the soft black swamp dirt. it was pushed in there 3 yrs ago with a front loader tractor. there is chunks of concrete in the dirt also the car is sitting on. it's going to be a challenge to get that one out.

the white corvair is sunk down pretty good and surrounded buy prickers and thorn trees sm00

01cars005_zps63662a95.jpg

01cars003_zps32c6e667.jpg

01cars004_zps1ca06608.jpg

Looks like you need the aid if a weed cutter, and a drought:D:D to get those cars out.

I once owned a '64 Corvair 4 door. The thing handled like a go-kart!!

Have you thought about selling the Corvair ragtop complete? Or is it too far gone?

I could be wrong, but I would think twice about scrapping the bodies. Those look complete enough for someone who would want to restore one, to buy.

quote:Originally posted by OrangeMetalGuy

I could be wrong, but I would think twice about scrapping the bodies. Those look complete enough for someone who would want to restore one, to buy.

id="quote">
id="quote">Corvair019_zps53158c40.jpgCorvair017_zps7ae0f1aa.jpgCorvair016_zps9e5a8f70.jpgCorvair020_zps43bf0f58.jpg

Adventures with Jimbo - my wacky neighbor who got me involved in these cars .

PART 1 -

PART 2 -

guys, guys, hey guys :o)..... LOL

PART 3 -

PART 4 -

A few years ago, my nephew sold a Corvair in similar shape on EBay, got $225.00 for it. The guy wanted what was left of the body for another Corvair he had, and wanted the engine for an airplane he was building.

It looks like Jimbo is having too much fun with that cut off saw. I don't think I would let the two of them out of my sight.

Rick.........

quote:Originally posted by B10Dave

?? Perry; you are sharing the royalties with Jimbo, right?....Dave

id="quote">
id="quote">yes , this is his rodeo, he is running the show ^. we are splitting the parts 50/50 . I am there to salvage the parts before he cuts them up. once the chop saw is in his hands look out :D. he is impressed with the allis and very gratefull i drive the tractor over. otherwise he would be hauling this stuff by hand out to his van about 800ft away. its way to wet back in there too drive a vehicle. i have been dragging and flipping the cars over for him and hauling scrap out. we are having a blast and Jim just makes it that more interesting ...LOLHe loves the videos i am taking and has been sending them to his friends/family and guy that owns the cars. he made the comment " jeez i'm a little hyper on them videos huh ? " He is haveing fun.

Corvair engines are still somewhat popular for dune buggies over here on the west side.

I know a guy who redid a '66 Mustang that was truly about as bad as that Corvair. It took 3 different cars, plus other parts to do it. Took him something like 7 years in his spare time. Really cool car now.

corvair number 2 . the first was the 700 and now the monza convertible. i think its a 1964.

01aaamonza001_zps7d348d49.jpg

01aaamonza012_zpsaa563a5d.jpg

01aaamonza002_zps5ac73a0e.jpg

01aaamonza004_zps82d82a3a.jpg

01aaamonza005_zpsa35087bf.jpg

01aaamonza006_zps5d94fdb4.jpg

01aaamonza010_zps243a8037.jpg

01aaamonza011_zpsd05e610b.jpg

01aaamonza014_zps2211a8fc.jpg

01aaamonza009_zpsc56cb5d3.jpg

01aaamonza007_zps64b7acc8.jpg

salvaging the parts

01aaamonza015_zps9fa97bf5.jpg

01aaamonza016_zps4630d327.jpg

quote:Originally posted by B-16_IC

No doubt these could have been advertised as "ran when parked". sm00

id="quote">
id="quote">ya the classic ran when it was parked .... :D the convertible was last seen driving down the road in the late 90's . it had a 98 sticker on the plate. i looked at google maps and it was sitting there in 2002 and less trees growing up around it.

There's still Corvair Clubs around for fans/enthusiasts. I had a '66 Corvair Monza I restored back in 1978. 2 speed auto trans was a trip.

Very cool cars for their day sm01 (Naider was an idiot)sm00