Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Simplicity 7117 need info

wheezytick

Hello I have a Simplicity 7117 with the KT17, (blown rod). I need to replace the engine, I looked into the magnum 18, and some other engines.I do not have the money for a new engine or a repower kit, I found a good deal on a Onan 20h.p. P220g, I was wondering if anyone has used this engine or can tell me if it will work for the 7117?

Thank you.

Pretty much any horizontal shaft motor will work if you can hook the drive shaft to it. My 7112 has a 16hp single cylinder Briggs in it, replacing a blown up Kohler 12hp. Onans are expensive to maintain when compared to others, but a good engine overall. I would look for a single cylinder, cast iron Briggs and Stratton 16hp engine to put in your tractor. They are cheap to maintain, very durable and powerfull. Twin's, espicaly flat twins are gas hogs when compared to newer OHV Vtwins or even older Singles. Onans of that model were used in Case/Ingersol and John Deere garden tractors. Onans are good for 1200-1500 hours before either throwing a rod or popping a valve seat out of the block. Some go longer, some dont. Dont know where in the USA you are, but there is a huge swap meet next week in Portland, Indiana. Excellent place to purchase a good engine for your tractor. Mike

Thank you I,m in North Carollina area, I can pick up the Onan for $350. it comes with a Wheel horse 520h raped around it. looked at the specs of engine looks like it can fit( with little modification ), engine just had valves done.

I'd like to put a magnum in but i just cant find anything here.

The Kohler engines will be the easiest to install with little or no modifications. With your old KT engine you have many of the necessary parts. Like the flywheel adaptor, which will work on all Kohler engines. Find a Magnum 18 or 20 and your KT muffler will work also, and your throttle and choke cables will work. The Onan may end up costing you much more than a more expensive Magnum, by the time you make it work in your 7117.

The M18/M20 are good, durable, and powerful engines.