Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
TyeeII

Kohler KT 17 Rear Shaft Seal

TyeeII

I have a 7117 with the KT17 that the oil seal on the rear ( front of tractor ) of the crankshaft completely blew out. The seal is gone, no where to be found. I got it shut down immediately. A couple of questions ? Do I have a breather plugged that created excessive pressure ? What is the procedure for replacing the seal ? It appears there is a cover that can be removed that houses the seal ? Thanks in advance for your input.

RayS

Breather could very well be plugged. They replaced the original style with a newer type that is suppose to be better. You should be able to put the new seal in without removing the cover.

I have replaced front seals on Briggs and Lombardini diesel and didn`t have to remove the front cover or bearing plate.

Brettw

The breather is located under the valve cover on the cylinder where the breather tube goes to. The old style breather was a rubber "mushroom" type valve. When they break and fail, it allows pressure to build up in the crankcase. The new style (available at the dealer, about $18 bux) is a metal reed type valve.

This may be the cause of the blown seal, but is not the only possible reason. It is easy to check to see if it has failed however. If they have failed, you will usually see oil use and smoking too. Check the service instructions, but the new seal, as I recall, should be installed with a Permatex gasket sealer to sort of "glue" it in, too.

TyeeII

Hi Thanks

series 1, I just took a look, the housing a n crank look good, I did find the seal spring (broken )

I would guess I have a non functioning breather. Sounds as though there is a newer style that I should replace it with. Who is a good source online for the parts ?

Thanks

Mike

email is mbradley002@centurytel.net

TyeeII

Hi

Thanks for all of he information Ray. I have the parts ordered. One more question. Is there a reference for filters ? I would like to change the hydro fluid filter, there is no ID on the existing ?

Thanks

Mike

RayS

I use a Wix 51068 or NAPA 1068. They are a direct replacement to the Simplicity filter according to Wix filter cross reference website.

A Hasting LF196 is as well. These are for the long filter used in the center of the tractor. I also have a tractor with one on the side of the pump. Not sure where your filter is located.

The short filter for the side of the pump is a Wix 51335 or NAPA 1335.

I do not know the Simplicity filter numbers without looking them. I can buy three of these for what they want for an OEM.

TyeeII

Thanks for the filter info. I am going to change the fluid in the hydrostatic transmission. My service manual says 3 to 3 1/2 quarts of AC 821 Hydraulic fluid ? Seems like a lot of fluid ? The drain is on the right side bottom of the housing ? The fill is a 3/8 pipe with a cap that comes out the back ? Does it fill to the top of the pipe ? there is no dipstick

Thanks

Mike

Brettw

It does use a lot of fluid. You do not necessarily need to buy AC hydro fluid, Dextron automatic trans fluid will work just fine.

Yes the drain plug is on the lower right side, yes the fill tube is the one that comes out the back with a cap, and yes you fill it until it full at the fill tube. However: 1) there is a relief valve about half way up on the left side of the transmission that (when opened properly)will allow you to fill much easier. After you are full, you will need to spin the pump, cycle the hydro lift (if so equipped) to bleed out all air, and check to make sure you full.

Search the forums for a complete description of the proper methods.