Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

HB212 Rear End Growl.....HELP

bowhunt4life

My HB212 rear end started growling after I tilled the garden.

Not sure what is going on. Functions fine. Growling seems to be coming from the fan/pulley. When I engage the clutch growling stops.

Is there something I am missing regarding fluids/oil/lubrication?

I don't think it is a belt. Hydrofluid is good to go at proper level.

Link to Video

Help???

Chris, sound's like bearing noise to me from listening to your video.

Take a peak at your drive belt idler pulley, they seem to bear the brunt of the drive system stress. My 2 cents!!!!!!!!

The sound is definitely coming from the rear drive pulley w/fan.

Fuuuuuuuuuudgengr2

I'm am guessing this is costly fix?

chris

i would tend to agree that it sounds like a bearing or something of that nature. tear into it and let me know whats wrong i have a couple spares laying around that i could rob some parts off of if ya need em.

I replaced the idler pulley, did not fix the problem.

I have the rear end in free wheel.

I took the shroud off that covers the pulley with the fan on it. That is definitely the source of the growl. Sounds like it is internal.

Thoughts or suggestions?

After taking the fan shroud off I can see the bearing held in place by the snap ring.

How the heck do I get the snap ring and bearing out? Is it as easy as popping the snap ring out and sliding out the bearing?

I was wondering that as well. I think it would be though to get it out, but they put it in from the outside. There are at least 3 others bearings in there as well. So it is hard to say which one it is or if it is even a bearing making the noise. Two bearings are needle bearings but they are on the other end of the shaft inside the housing.

Is there any play up and down play in that bearing if you lift up and down on the shaft that the fan is on?

If there is. Maybe removing the bearing dust shield would allow you to move the bearing back and forth enough with a seal puller or a screw driver so that you could get it out. You will want that shaft super clean with a wire brush so that it would slide off.

You will need a snap ring tool or pliers.

One thing I have learned is nothing is easy. Got set set screw loose on the drive pulley but have no clue how to get the pulley off the drive shaft.

If I put a gear puller on there the pulley will bend.....fuuuuuudge!

I have the best luck with a air hammer. The rust needs to be off the end of the shaft. Could remove the set screw and spray penetrating oil in the hole and try a chisel from the back side of the pulley. I would try moving the pulley up and down first before removing and see if there is slop in the bearing.

I checked the pulley. Absolutely zero up and down play or side to side play. Feels solid as a rock.

Does the fact that I can move back and forth ensure the pump is working?

I did notice that after I hosed her down after tilling the growl went away and then came back.

I'm tempted to put her back together and run her or sell her for parts.

Frustration is setting in.

Sounds to me like the bearing is ok in that respect. I wonder if it is sealed on both sides and is just dry. If the tractor moves, the pump is working.

Can you get a penetrating oil to work in behind the outer seal of bearing and turn it on and see if it quites down.

If that is the case. I got another trick for you.

I definitely wouldn`t part it out.

I fired the tractor up and had drive pulley running. Sprayed the bearing with WD40 and the sound stopped immediately.

Hmmm.......

I would try to remove the bearing and replace it. I have in the past drilled a hole in the metal dust shield with a real small drill bit (not on this particular issue). Pump the bearing full of grease with a needle adapter that can be fitted to the end of a grease gun and then epoxy the hole shut. Some may agree and some may not. It works for me so I don`t have a problem with that.

It probably will save you a lot of headaches and last you another 20 years. The bearing is simply try. I learned this trick from Roy Pope.

Chris, don't part it out. I would definately go with Ray's tips and advice.

Sorry replacing the belt idler pulley didn't help.

Thank you all for your input and assistance.

I think I am going to try to take the snap ring off and see if I can get the bearing out. If not I'll try Ray's trick.