Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
B110guy

Briggs engine swap?

B110guy

Have an old Country Clipper with an 11 horse Briggs Model 253707. Found a nice looking Briggs 12 horse model 281707. After I make sure the 12 horse runs but before I take the 11 horse off, will these 2 engines swap (mounting pattern and crank style)? A tired 11 horse on a 42" zero turn just isn't enough. Figured a 12 is a 10% increase in power and the $15 I spent on the engine beats the $400 it'd take to replace the mower.

B110guy

rokon2813

Don't quote me, but I heard somewhere that the changeover for briggs was 12.5 hp.

So a 12 should have the same foot print, bolt pattern and shaft size as an 11, but a 12.5 hp would be different, at least as far as having a larger shaft.

B110guy

Figured out it would work. Sadly, someone felt the need to screw me and the auctioneer. Engine turned over by hand just fine, but had no plug so I couldn't check compression. Brought it home, stuck a battery charger on the starter and spun her over. Then crunch. Spun backwards by hand and tried again. Same result. Pulled engine apart. Counterweight in several pieces, rod in several pieces, cam support on block broke out. I have a $15 paperweight with very few usable parts to sell to recoup my $$$. After mowing the lawn twice with my B10, I might just get the B10 running better, re gasket the B110 and sell the ZTR the 12 horse was going in.

B110guy

Dan123

B110guy, There are more good guys out there than bad. Anytime we buy something used we take a chance of running across a dirt bag that wants something for nothing.

B110guy

Yeah, Dan, more good than bad. I'm not mad at the auctioneer. Just frustrated that someone would bring something they had to know was junk to an auction. I can probably sell enough parts off of it to recoup my money. Was really looking forward to having the extra power on my ZTR. Having so much fun with my B10 and B110 that I might sell the ZTR to help fund the old AC's.

B110guy