Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

A couple of Questions about 4108

dhoadley

I got a 4108 on a roll-of-the-dice for $80.( see "What's it Worth" from a couple weeks ago) It needed a front tire and a battery, so I didn't know if it would run. The previous owner got it cleaning out a place and was going to sell it for scrap. Went thru it today and could only find 4 zerk fittings, 2 on the front rims and 2 for the steering axle king pins. Are there any more? It has no spark, so it wouldn't start. Did a search and got some idea of how to start chasing that. I'l come crying for help if and when I flounder. I hate electrical problems.

Thanx, Dave

P.S. I'll post a picture soon. I know you guys love pictures, even though you already know what it looks like. ;)

• 3 weeks later...

I'm thinking I have 2 problems. The battery went dead over night and I believe the ignition switch won't turn off. I also have no idea if something is supposed to go in this fuse holder-looking thing. I got a fuse but it won't go in far enough to allow me to lock it shut, even the shortest, barely any glass, fuse. On the side going to the engine it looks like a resistor is in line. The solenoid looks to have been replaced, but it will turn over, so I imagine thats fine. No spark, maybe the points burned out when the key wouldn't shut off the system? I disconnected the small black kill wire and that made no difference. Thanx for the help, Dave

P6010227.JPG

P6010228.JPG

P.S. What is the small silver rectangle and should I try bypassing that?

P6010227.JPG.cc36473ff3b6ce690944e676ad2453a7.JPG

P6010228.JPG.40a076335af9cdd415d3f1accd25987f.JPG

The silver thing in the wire going to the engine is not a resistor, it is a diode, it lets the current flow from the stator ring to the battery to charge it, but not back from the battery to the stator when you shut off the tractor.

You should get a wiring diagram for the tractor to help chase the problem. That is a fuse holder that you picture, it should take a fuse and if it doesn't something is wrong with it.

Someone on here should have a wiring diagram for you, I am sorry but I do not.

Steve

GrincheyOne sent me an all inclusive PDF that is very helpful, but doesn't show this fuse holder. It sure looks OEM, with the bracket and all. Thanks for the link Bob, I'll compare with what I've been using and see if that adds anything. The struggle continues, Dave