Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Troulbe with the rear lift on my 17GTH-L

cschmidt62

I'm having trouble with the rear lift on my 17GTH-L (7100). It doesn't want to pick my tiller up. I have never had any problems in the past and there doesn't seam to be any problems with the movevment of the tractor. Everything was working fine yesterday when I started but after tilling four gardens it wont hardly pick it off the ground. Even if you help lift the tiller it wont stay up...any suggestions?

Have you checked to see if the transmission fluid level is low? Is there any hoses or the lift cylinder leaking?

The fluid level was low so I added some oil, it took a little over a pint to top it off. It's still is not working as well as it should. I can't see any immediate signs of leaks but need to dig into it a little deeper.

As far as I Know its a Simplicity filter, And to be honest its not been changed in at least 5 years.

Then check lift cable for proper action

Hard to do if all your safeties still work

Is there a bleeding procedure to get air out of system?

I would drop the tiller till you can run it up & down a few times to purge out any air in the cylinder/hoses/etc...Like Ron said, maybe look at the lift cable/pulleys for binding then try it with the heavy weight.

Good luck sm01

I'm beginning to wonder about the seals in the lift cylinder. As I mentioned earlier even when I help it pick up the tiller it won't hold it up. I priced a filter at my local Simplicity dealer yesterday

and was shocked at the 24 plus dollar price tag. Does anyone know what the NAPA cross reference number is?