Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Breaking loose an old muffler

pungo

I ran in to a frozen muffler on my first big day of disassembly of the B-110. No locking ring. What are your techniques? Is heat better? I have the engine out and laying down and been spraying pene-lube on it. I just have a nightmare of cracking this good running engine.

I cut the pipe about a half inch outside the block. Then I use a die grinder ( or dremmel) with a small stone and grind a groove inside the tube in two places across from each other. I try to get them down fairly close to the threads in the block. I then use a chisel to split the tube where the slot is ground on one side and fold one side of the tube inside the hole. This will loosen the pipe tube up enough that you can get it out.

Patients...I heat it with a little map gas torch, as it cools I spray it with penetrating oil. Sometimes you have to do it twice and let it sit overnight to really get the oil in. Next I use a pipe wrench and tap it with a hammer. The jarring seems to do it. Once it budges, use a little more penetrating oil and it usually comes out. If all else fails, Rods way works but the as a last resort.

I took the muffler pipe out of my 16hp in my 7116 by soaking in PB blaster, ran it to get it hot, let it cool down and put my pipe wrench on it with a 3' piece of fence pipe as a cheater. Didnt take a lot of pressure to break it loose, after the initial turn, I could do it with just the pipe wrench. Its more of the carbon than rust that keeps them tight. The rust is usualy just on the outer thread, once its in the block the threads are fairly clean but with carbon build up. Mike

Hey! I'm not afraid anymore!

I appreciate the input.It came to me pene lube could be put into the inner threads somehow with the head off.

Now, here comes the hacksaw!