Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

b112 hydraulic pump belt

Aldon

I started up my b112, drove out of the garage, shut her down, and attached the tiller today. Started her up again and pushed the lift lever forward. NO LIFT! I cursed since I just rebuilt the pump. As I was checking the fluid level the ten year old with me cleverly pointed out the belt is not turning the pump. The belt is frayed and old, clearly in need of re-placing.

Now, since the belt goes around the drive shaft whats the easiest way to replace it? Thanks, Aldon

There is no real easy way to replace the belt, but not as bad as it looks. Remove the right side panel and unbolt the two drive shaft bolts that connect the fiber disk to the engine. Note the position of the spacers and washers. Reinstall in the same order. You can then gently move the drive shaft aside enough to wiggle the belt through. If there is any doubt of the condition of the starter/generator belt, it would be wise to also replace it.

A narrow jaw vise grip pliers comes in handy to hold the spacers for removal and re-installation. They can be a problem to retrieve from under the engine where they always go to hide.

I find that it helps to place a rag under the drive shaft when removing the bolts to help catch them. Like Jim said, they are not fun to pull them from under the engine.

Oz

• 2 weeks later...

It has now rained for five days and they are evacuating towns near me due to fear of the dykes breaking. Poor Alice has been sitting under a tarp because every time I get my hopes up and step outside it pours like pi** from a boot. I can fix the tractor, just not the weather:)

Job done! There was nothing easy about it since it was in mud and squished up against bushes. But, that makes the victory all the sweeter:)

Glad the job was a success, and thanks for letting us know. If you got it done in those conditions the next time will be a breeze.

Also I'd like to apologize for not properly welcoming you to the club.

I tried using her today. My neighbor has higher land and wanted a garden, so i'm trying to get the tiller to work. And thank you for the welcome.

Welcome to the club! I use a magnet on an extendable rod to root out hiding parts. They even make one with an LED on the end. About 3 bucks at Harbor Freight.

Don, glad you got your job done.

I will add one more thing to the Expert advise you all ready got for replacing the belt.

Where the drive shaft connects to the bevel gear box, there is a set screw that holds the shaft secure. There is a hole on the bottom of the tractor frame for access to it.

By loosening that set screw you will sometimes get more space to easily remove the pump belt.

Thanks you for all the welcomes, but in all honesty I should point out I'm a returning member. I experienced losses in my family and didn't renew my membership. When I tried I had problems with paying the dues. I clicked on the last renewal notice I got through email and just went through the whole enrollment process again. It is good to be back and have the energy to put into the AC.