Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Tiller

HubbardRA

I have been working on a walk behind rototiller for the past couple of days. I needed to work up a small place to put in a few beans.

First of all the intake valve was sticking open. I took the head off and with a little Kroil and some working of the valve with pliers, I got it to seat repetitively.

Still wouldn't run. I could start it on carb cleaner, but that was it.

Took the carb apart and cleaned the jets which were plugged. This carb is fixed jet and not adjustable.

Started it and drove it to the garden area. Tilled about 3 feet and the carb started messing up again. Would not run right again, and finally got so It wouldn't start.

Got Frustrated!!

Finally decided to pull out the 32 inch tiller that I got from Roy several years before he passed away, and mount that on a tractor. I had never used it because it was for a foot dragger and I didn't have one to mount it on.

Made the decision to mount that tiller on my 710H(716H but with a 10 Hp engine), even though it would turn much faster than it was supposed to.

After doing some quick modifications to the pulley hookups, I fired up the tractor and drove to the garden area. Man that thing is fast. Does a good job too. Pulverizes the slightly sandy soil in my backyard.

Don't know why I put that hookup off so long. Guess I thought it would be hard to hook up. I used the footdragger pulleys, but disabled the belt clutch.

I will try to get a picture tomorrow.

Rod you'll find out that after a bit, 1/4 to 1/2 throttle will give you all the tine speed you need. And pictures please.;)

I think they do as nice a job as a Troy-Built, at least the flat tops, the round tops tend to throw the dirt around too much for me.

And best of all, Troy-Builts don't have a seat }:)}:)

Bob is right, you don't need a lot of engine RPM, and running on the larger cone clutch pulleys, any RPM idle and above will do a good job.

"no fdt" what happened to Thunderfoot ??

Dan,

Thunderfoot doesn't have a PTO on it, and it has a weight rack in the way. Need to do the work to put it back in working form. Without a low speed kit, Thunderfoot would probably be too fast. That tiller tries to push the hydrostat.

Yes, it is a round top, and yes, it throws dirt everywhere, especially at the speed it is running.

At least I got my beans planted today. LOL:)

Way to go Rod. Skilled as you are I expect to see side shield built for it.

Could see my garden today. :) Might have to start thinking about the tiller.

Ok, I finally got some pictures of the mounted tiller. I am not sure why the first pictures came out black and white instead of color. My youngest son was home last weekend and he supposedly cleaned up my computer to make it faster. Guess he trashed something that should still be here. After I resize the pictures, when I saved the pictures to my desktop they became black and white. Tried doing it again with same results. Guess I am going to need some time to get this laptop back to normal after he worked on it. Anyway, I think they are still clear enough to see what I did.

MountedTiller.jpg

Had to do a few modifications to make it fit. First was to install a one inch spacer to hold the pully assembly away from the hitch to the left side to prevent the pulley from rubbing the hydro tranny.

PulleySpacer.jpg

Then I had to cut the end of the shaft off that goes into the hitch of the tractor to let the tiller move forward about an inch. This loosened the rear belt and put it within the range of the screw adjustment. This is not the correct rear lift hitch for this tractor. I think it is off a 400 series. If you have the factory setup, it may not be necessary to cut the shaft off.

HitchShaft.jpg

I also removed the rear side belt idler from the lever, since it was not needed and tied the lever out of the way so it wouldn't rub my tire. I used a piece of cpvc water pipe and a couple zipties for this.

ZiptieTubing.jpg

The next picture shows the belt on the outer cone clutch groove.

FrontPulleyBelt.jpg

When it was all done, I had just enough clearance from the rear tire to prevent rubbing.

pullytire.jpg

MountedTiller.jpg.18708d70391a22cc6bf59184c0dfc565.jpg

PulleySpacer.jpg.36302a51492123c58c0342f2535686fd.jpg

HitchShaft.jpg.778fe580e0fb22a42b7f2f8739de704e.jpg

ZiptieTubing.jpg.6bfdc7b3779ff90e04bbe23f393f1092.jpg

FrontPulleyBelt.jpg.b754b5941136ecda77e889491e78d4d2.jpg

pullytire.jpg.23ddd83ac6ac45ce8fdd250daf86fb63.jpg

• 3 months later...

Good idea, Rod. I just finished mine and it will probably last until I am pushing up daises. A good match for the 718. I might also use the idler pulley to take up some slack should it appear.;)

BLT718Tillera.jpg

BLT718Tillerb.jpg

BLT718Tillerc.jpg

BLT718Tillerd.jpg

• 9 months later...

I put mine to work today and was pleasantly surprised how the 361 Kohler worked the dirt with a bump up just over idle. I did hook something, tiller belt squealed but engine just kept on chugging.

Electric lift worked fine, battery voltage remained high considering dual circuit electrical.

I took the tiller off a foot dragger and put it on a 416. With a 5" pulley driving instead of a 3", I thought it looked more like a manure spreader with the plume of dirt shooting out at anything over idle.

Gets the job done. And the hydro is awesome for infinite ground speed adjustment.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online
  • Recent Status Updates

• gwiseman

gwiseman

As you know SimpletrACtors.com has changed some recently. Working through this so PM me with questions, suggestions, and/or challenges you have. Appreciate your patience and feedback.
      · 0 replies
    • gwiseman

gwiseman

Site programming updates were made 3/23/2024. As a result some things have changed including dues payment options. We will continue maintenance and work with technicians to regain credit card payment option and clear up minor challenges. On positive it appears attaching pictures is now easier. Good day. Gene 
      · 1 reply
  • Adverts