Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
tdarin176

7119h 48" deck help

tdarin176

I have a 7119H with a 48" deck and I can't get the blades to raise high enough to prevent scalping some areas of my lawn. I understand that using the lift to raise the deck while mowing is a bad idea and hard on the belts, I also have turned the height adjustment handles as far clockwise as they will go. The rollers are firmly on the ground. What options do I have to obtain a cutting height of 3 to 4 inches? Thanks God bless America

RayS

You will never get 4" cut. These were designed with a max of 3-1/8". To get that you will need rollers and a roller bar that isn`t worn out. The rollers wear on the inside and out.

Brettw

Welcome to the club!

If you have truly raised the height of the deck and are still scalping your lawn, either the terrain of your lawn is in really bad shape, or you do not actually have the deck adjusted correctly.

There are two adjustments on the deck: The rear rollers, and the front turnbuckles. Ray is correct, for the maximum height you need to be sure the rollers are in good shape, but unless they are completely shot, you should not be scalping.

First, I would make sure you are in fact raising the rollers to the maximum height, and not lowering them. I can't picture right now, but I am not sure clockwise is the proper direction or not. Next I would raise the front turnbuckles (attached to the bar that pins the deck to the front axle). When adjusted properly, the front of the blades should be about 1/4" higher than the rear, as measured front to rear with the blades facing front to rear with the deck mounted.

Extremely low or undersized tires on the front will cause problems too.

powerking_one

Ray,

I would bet you can't even get beyond 3" of cutting height out of these decks. I seem to recall this when leveling my 48" deck on the one I totally rebuilt for the 3314H (including new roller-bar & rollers) with no slop in the bail frame or yokes/pins or anywhere else in the system.

JMHO,

Tom (PK)

tdarin176

Thanks for the help guys. I have successfully raised the deck to 3+ inches. I backed off the two front turnbuckles quite a bit and gained another inch of height with Gator blades. The rollers are in good shape and are in solid contact with the ground. God bless America!