Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
Mike

before you mow

Mike

Broke down tonite and put the deck on the tractor. Sharpened blades, noticed internal belt slipped off. Popped covers off and found the tensioner extremely loose. Well tensioner bolt broke off. Thank Goodness for spare parts, installed new tensioner assembly. Jacked up tractor to slide deck under and noticed steering main pivot loose, Find holes all wallowed out, drill out and sleeve bolt, grease everything had enough gas for a small parcel, back in business. Check that tensioner bolt!

Paul_B

I feel your pain. B) I had a loose tensioner and tried to tighten the nun on the eye bolt and snapped it right off. Did the same thing to the bolt on a spare parts deck.

A new eye bolt was nearly 20 bucks so I cheaped out and welded the top part of an eye bolt to a regular bolt I modified.

Gordan

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but this is exactly the spot I'm in now. Nut on the eyebolt was frozen, bolt snapped right off as I was trying to loosen it so I can lube the idler pivot. And I only used a 3/8" ratchet... these bolts don't strike me as particularly strong, and they're expensive. Any reason not to use just a regular eye bolt? Even if it snaps, it's cheap and readily available... I was thinking of using stainless. The deck is not so heavy that a forged shoulder-pattern bolt should be required.

Paul_B

I was too cheap to buy the fancy bolt so I used a regular shoulder bolt with an eye welded to the top. It's still working fine. It's nothing really special.

My original bolt had worn from it being the pivot for the idler pulley. The bushing had rusted solid so it couldn't pivot.

Gordan

Mine wasn't rusted but gummed up something fierce. I have no clue what they put in there. So, the bushings are still in decent enough shape to be reused - I presume the reason you used a shoulder bolt was because you have it replacing both the eyebolt and the bushing?