Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Homelite T-12 mower deck

rfsmith1952

What simplicity or ac deck will go on a Homelite T-12 (allis built)? The tractor has no mid pto so the deck would run from an electric front pto through a mule drive. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Bob

Thanks, Chris. I'm sure Bill will check in. I read the thread and believe I could modify the brackets. Unrelated, but related, it looks like the snow plow from the T-10 would almost fit on the T-12. Plow bracket is little wider.

First, the front blade size issue. On an early A/C Homelite (my T-12), the front attachment spacing is 11 1/4" vs the standard Simplicity 10 1/2". The vertical mounting ears of the standard Simplicity blade hitch are bent out, 3/8" on each side. I'm not sure what the front hitch spacing is on the late A/C built Homelites, just that the axle and mower mule drive is different.

As to mower decks, to the best of my knowledge, the Homelite shallow right discharge deck and the A/C 300/400 series are interchangeable except for the hitch spacing. I believe the A/C 300/400 is the stock 10 1/2" spacing since I had to bend the ears out to 11 1/4" on my "NOS Homelite deck". I've been told that the deck shells, arbors, height adjustment parts are same for some other Simplicity shallow right discharge decks. I've never seen one so I can't say for sure.

I've thought about using a FDT deck on my Homelite when I had issues with the front electric PTO. Besides the hitch dimension issue, you would need a FDT hanging mid PTO. I think it would mount OK since the FDT and early A/C Homelite frames are the same.

A second option would be to get the left side-plate with mid PTO from a Simplicity 3416H and use a RBT deck. This would be a direct drive deck or require figuring out how to install the cone clutch. That install might require a different cross shaft in the BGB.

I never followed up on either of these ideas. I repaired (patched) my original front electric clutch until I found a new style electric clutch that I purchased as a spare. I have since found "spare" original style clutches on eBay.

Thanks Bill. After some discussion with JIMDK out in western PA, we both think it would be easier to obtain and mount a deck on the the T-10, which is simplicity-built and has the mid-pto. So I'm looking at one down in E-town for about $50. What is your view on that?

I'm partial to the Homelite deck vs the old Simplicity decks. You get the "Simplicity" cut, but can adjust the cutting height up to 4"; you're lucky if you can get a 3" cut with the Simplicity. I've never had a problem with the Homelite deck being "shallow". But then I don't cut very tall grass, maybe that's where there's a difference.

I did pickup a "new" style 44" Simplicity right discharge deck. I looked at hooking it up to the Homelite, but getting it attached at the correct location wouldn't be the easiest.

Bob:

Let me know if I can be of any help. I have an AC built T12 with a 48" deck. Don't mow much with the tractor, I could check some measurements/etc for you if you need.

Thanks, Gary. Till all is said and done, I think I will have a deck for the t-10 and one for the t-12.