Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

GLPointon

Lube questions for my B12 Hi-Lo

GLPointon

I have a question about my Hi-Lo...(I had this question on my B12 resto thread but thought this is better for a quicker response)

After I soaked/flushed it out to remove the old caked on grease, I put the temporary grease zirk in and gave it about 15 pumps while spining it...Is that enough to lube all the planetary gears/beaarings/etc inside that gearbox or should I do more to fully lube it??? It seems to sound a little scratchy yet. Thought I better ask before pumping more in it...

Thanks

mwells

Most of the time the grease zerk won't get grease into the planetary or even to the bushings. I put a core plug in one of mine to help it, it gets grease to the bushings now but probably not into the planetary as grease follows the path of least resistance, so it oozes out externally. So the best thing to do is grease everything up really good when you assemble it, and then disassemble it every couple years and regrease/clean eveything depending on how often you use it.

GLPointon

Thanks Mike...I soaked it with ATF to clean/flush it so it has a thin lube everywhere but I may just pull it and manually lube it up good since these are becoming more rare...

I'm surprised that these were not sealed & lubed with 90w gear oil vs. grease ?

bigten65

Mine sounds like that too. I believe it is the shifting pivots that ride on the outer ring that shifts it in and out. Not sure I got all the terms right. It is not recommended to lube those, as they will get dirty and wear out the pivots.

GLPointon

Thanks guys.....problem solved;

the mid PTO idler pulley was engaged & rubbing on the BGB pulley since there's no belt on it yet sm00dz making the noise...

I am gonna lube the Hi-Lo a bit more. I think I'll pull it & brush grease inside with an acid brush to the critical areas then reassemble and grease it more thru the zirk...sm01

Talntedmrgreen

I dont grease thru the zerk anymore...its a poor design. It pumps grease straight past the gears to your input shaft, which then looes its bond with the unit and slips when shifting. I pull mine apart and manually place a modest amount on the gears. Got tired of trying to keep the set screw tight, etc.