Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Poor Man Power Steering Issue

RandyBuxton

I am working on installing the Poor Mans Power Steering (if that's what we're to call it) on my B10. I've placed the .060 washer on the spindle first, then the bearing race, then the .030 washer. The problem I have is that there is no room at the other end of the spindle for the other .030 washer and the retaining ring.

How have others addressed this issue?

What I have done is left the second .030 washer out (since it won't fit with the retaining ring). Not sure if this could be a problem down the road.

Thanks.

I think this would be better suited in the "Talkin Tractors" section.

I did this mod on a newer style Sovereign, so not sure my experience will help any.

On my AC 410 there was lotsa room but my B12 I had to use a thinner washer on top below the C-clip or maybe left it off (cant remember)since it doesnt do much anyway, unless your wheels leave the ground

Do a search on Poor Mans power steering. It consist of a bearing and several different thickness washers. Helps a lot with the steering.

I ground down the top of the "tube" so that both the washer and the e-clip can be installed on the spindle.

The order of washer assembly you listed is wrong. First washer is .030" embedded in JB weld, then the thrush bearing, then the .060 washer.

Here's a link to powerking one's original post:

http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=10571&SearchTerms=power,steering

GLPointon's recent post:

http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=121649&SearchTerms=poor,mans

I just used two .030 washers instead of the .060 washer and forgot about the JB weld. I see no purpose for the JB weld. Works great. I even put the poor man's power steering on a Sovereign with rich man's power steering when I had the front end apart. Makes everything work very nicely.

The purpose of the JB Weld is to insure the lower bearing surface is perpendicular to the spindle so the thrust bearing is evenly loaded.

I've never used the JB either. The .060 washer is much broader than any wear into the spindle from the axle tube, and sits perfectly. I suppose if you have extreme wear, this may not be the case, but I'd swap out a real nasty spindle anyway. If they are that bad, they are pretty fatigued, and JB won't properly strengthen that joint.

Something I was told several years ago by an A/C dealer/Mechanic was to over inflate your front tires. This helps the steering especially on the series that have the wider front tires like the 12 hp series tractors. I put about 30# in my 9020 and its a lot easier to steer.