Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
B110guy

B110 backfires/dies under load

B110guy

Long story short, mowing with my B110 for the first time in heavy grass. As she gets warmed up, she starts to backfire, miss, and bog down under load. Died once on me, and will come out of it if I stop mowing, but will go right back to missing and backfiring when I go back to mowing. New coil and Nova 2 this spring. Carb setting, or something? What might be wrong? Runs great otherwise.

B110guy

dhoadley

I have an old Ariens snowthrower with a 6hp tecumseh that was doing the exact same thing. I checked the plug and found it running rich. I couldn't lean out the carb enough, so I rebuilt it and that fixed my problem. That's one line to follow. Good luck, Dave

simple_stan

I would certainly look at the carb, intake gasket and head gasket. Sounds like your drawing in unwanted maverick air. When the engine gets hot and under a load the leak starts letting in too much air.

B110guy

Bit of an update. Finished mowing yesterday and it was doing it again, so I took David's advise and played with the main jet. Turned it out maybe a turn and it wouldn't even run the deck at an idle witout sounding like the choke was pulled. Turned it back in the one turn and went in another 3/4 or so and it ran a lot smoother. Finished the mowing with no further issues. Also noticed that she no longer stutters coming up to full RPM, runs smoother at full RPM, and doesn't do a bunch of backfiring coming down to an idle like she did. Now to fix the massive oil leak and a steering issue and I'll be good to go. Thanks for all the tips.

B110guy