Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
pungo

B-110 Relic Restoration

pungo

I intend to do something a little different with the recently aquired B-110;

allisfirst 003.jpg

Since this tractor will be used hard as a mowing machine for 4 acres(I am addicted to the Simplicity-style cut)and it needs little engine work(unlike my first restoration with a complete rebuild)

mini-rebuilt motor in 021.jpg

I'm going to go through the thing and clean, compound and wax the original patina, fix all mechanical issues, and paint only those items (like wheels) that really need it.

allisrestoration 006.jpg

allisrestoration 013.jpg

It seems original tractors without bull-shot paint jobs are more desirable than the alternative. I want a show tractor but for the season this one will be put back in service.I mess with guitars (play,build,repair) and Relics are in demand and command high prices, it seems that crowd doesn't want crappy restorations either and will go to great lengths to save an old finish.I will say the restoration of my 2010 a few years ago payed off, I use it constantly and there is nothing sweeter than a cast iron 10 dialed in and in service

mini-allisrestoration 001.jpg

57e0581d38c45_allisfirst003.jpg.09b060347c0136558fb46d718605589e.jpg

57e0581d4234b_mini-rebuiltmotorin021.jpg.650cea8c33a654913d54062d8b95aa00.jpg

57e0581dc4cb7_allisrestoration006.jpg.b420a42861d82f4a4658fc451121bdd1.jpg

57e0581dd0019_allisrestoration013.jpg.ef6c0d836b3c1a21ad720e31f9d95b93.jpg

57e0581ddce6a_mini-allisrestoration001.jpg.389a6ed9ce554bf3ec61b5353e8f3a8b.jpg

pungo

I'll tell you Goat,right now there is no reason to do the paint/decal thing,though I love it. I'll be retired in 2 weeks and suddenly every dollar counts!Plus a mechanically perfect tractor cleaned up and polished in original condition for some reason seems cool to me.You can only remove the original one time.I got the idea here, of course,some Member remarked "A little compound can pull the original condition up a notch or two", or something to that effect.

mini-allisrestoration 005.jpg

57e05e40a53e1_mini-allisrestoration005.jpg.90c117b7e5f7308c1f9ffff1bebabbcd.jpg

goatfarmer

Congrats on the upcoming retirement! I have about a dozen or so years before I can go there.

But I'm counting.....;)

Tacey

I've noticed a trend on TV that mimics your idea pungo. Painted (from factory) sheet metal cleaned and clear coated. "Fast and Loud" built a '50 Chevy by upgrading mechanicals for street ability and merely clean rusted metal and leave it. Re-do upholstery, chrome rims/radials and she's done.

Nice photos on this post, and good work on the tractors.!

pungo

Well,certainly nothings prettier than some of the nut and bolt restorations we have seen here lately. MrGreen, it was your comments on another thread that got me thinking, if you are not going to go all the way(which one day I might if I like this as much as my 2010) then get all the mechanicals right, meticulously clean the undercarriage and shiny parts, and paint only those items that seriously need it(like the wheels, POR under the battery, aluminum oil pan).

Brettw

I made mention in an earlier post, that the boys that restore the old Mopars to "original" condition (we're talking rare cars, ultra high end resto), would do a "bull-shot" job of painting, leaving a few drips and runs, because that is how they came from the factory! Now THAT is taking in every detail in an absolute factory correct restore. Looking at some of the restorations on here, I am sure they are actually better than when they left Port Washington.