Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

New toy B12 and Loader

ngale65

Well, thanks to Chris, i got a B12 with loader. :)Since Seth talked me out of the last one, i figured I'd give it another go. I even got the wife to play on it, and that never happens. Next weekend 10 yards of mulch being delivered. So the true test will be then. I will say, this tractor runs and drives great, very tight. Only complaint i have is the steering stinks. i was thinking of switching to 3 ribs in the front and doing the poor mans power steering upgrade, any advise from those of you with loaders? Also there is an oil leak at the front seal on the pump around the shaft. anyone changed that yet? of so any advise on that?Thanks

load3.jpg

load4.jpg

load1.jpg

load5.jpg

load2.jpg

load3.jpg.18d706cc8309ac6b438133eee168b7cc.jpg

load4.jpg.6dc664b4d6d42c22fc772e92542913ed.jpg

load5.jpg.6ee55d691dc71db6a78bdb62bf278bca.jpg

load2.jpg.418bf417f1d0f92eea93f5f834e8789b.jpg

Way cool!!

Slow and steady wins the race. I just take my time when steering and make wide turns.

that thing is awesome!!! and getting the wife on is something i believe will never happen at this house! GREAT HAUL!!

Nice looking tractors and home!

You will be having a lot of fun with that loader! :D

It should make for lighter work.

Good looking outfit. The bearings helped a lot on that gilson loder I got going. Also, make sure the steering is all working freely. 4 inch tires will help but will sink in the soft ground more.

Very nice Nate...Congrats

The PMPS upgrade will help the steering but driving a loader/tractor is like the older cars before power steering, You learn to steer only while the vehicle is in motion...Thats how I steer mine mostly.

Good luck sm01

It already has poor man's upgrade.

Narrower tires will help, but steering will always suck without real power steering.

Couple things I did to the old 2012 with loader that I had, in addition to the poor man's power steering:

1. Went from the wide tires to the narrow tri-ribs. They'll sink in more on wet or loose soil, but changing the amount of tire contact area makes it easier to steer...

2. Changing the steering column AND steering gear to the 9 HP Landlord (990314) or early B-10 cast iron full-round steering gear. It has a much slower ratio (more cranking on the steering wheel) but it is a lot easier to turn with a load in the bucket...

Just some thoughts...

I'm waiting for someone with a dedicated loader tractor to tap into that hydraulic circuit and put power steering on one...

Yup, they're a bear to steer with 250-300# in the bucket, but it beats the heck out of shoveling. 10 yards of ANYTHING is a lot, but mulch should go really easy. I have 7 yards of gravel coming this week, and it takes a while with a 1/3 yard bucket, but it is great seat time. ^ I did 1-2" stone last summer and it went quick and smooth. I was shocked how well the machine worked. (I tried it on shingles this weekend...I don't recommend that!)

well, got to use the loader today. i took 2 bags of top soil and 2 new small bushes in the back yard for my wife. then put the old clay in the bucket from the holes and dumped them in the field behind the house. Some people would say that is complete overkill, but i say, heck no that was fun. :D

Those that say it is overkill have never sat behind the wheels of these little babies.

Job well done!

Your FEL looks great Nathan, It seems like steering is a common problem with these tractors. I am interested in Kent's comment on changing the steering gear.

I went from standard turf tires on the front of my B212 with Kwik Way loader to three rib ag tires and then to 4 lug trailer tires. The three ribs would not hold up to the weight and would squat and flatten out making steering nearly impossible unless I over inflated them. I finally bought a set of 1" trailer axle stubs, cut them to two inches long then bored a 3/4" 1-1/2" deep hole in them on a lathe, slipped the original spindle shafts in the hole in the axle stub and welded them to the back support at the spindle bend. With a set of 4 lug trailer rims and 4.80X4X8" tires on it rated @ 590 lbs. each it still steer hard but the tires hold the weight.

also got the hi-lo installed. not sure if there is any real benefit to this yet. but we will see. also going to swap all 4 tires and wheel out for bar rear and 3 rib fronts so if anyone is interested in these let me know. i did put them in the classifieds to. here is a pic of the hi-lo

hi-lo.jpg

hi-lo.jpg.6649070ef9249bb852b8fbde690f2b9b.jpg

Nice the Hi-Lo is great, I have one on my loader tractor. Gives you 6 gears.

Chris

honestly, im just going to pull the bar tires and 3 ribs off the HB212 and put the turf tires back on her. and thats only if these sell. if not, they work fine. i just like the look of the bar tires, these look to modern.

and chris, why do you need 6 gears, truly just asking. why would you really need 1 low with a loader. i can see it with a tiller or maybe a plow. but this doesnt have the power to dig or excavate with the loader. Enlighten me :) i use to have an old sears with a hi-lo. used that to haul a full load of rock up a hill a few times. but didnt use it much

quote:Originally posted by ngale65

and chris, why do you need 6 gears, truly just asking. why would you really need 1 low with a loader. i can see it with a tiller or maybe a plow. but this doesnt have the power to dig or excavate with the loader. Enlighten me :) i use to have an old sears with a hi-lo. used that to haul a full load of rock up a hill a few times. but didnt use it much

id="quote">
id="quote">When the wife and kids are walking in front of you in the garden tossing stones into the bucket ??:o:O:O}:)}:)}:)}:)

I had a hilo on the Big Ten but removed it...I prefer the straight 3 speed with the extra stress the loader work putson the drive train. I dont care to burden the hilo's when I dont need to use them. Tilling is the only chore I have found them truly useful for...and they are priceless for that! =]

I use the Hi-Lo to run the tiller on my loader tractor. It's nice to have the option to change speeds depending on my task.

Chris