Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

2 piece flow jet carburetor repairs questions

nhfootdragger

This year both of my landlord tractor carbs needed cleaning and discovered both of the main jet seats were corroded to the point of stripping the brass off of the heads of the seats.

To clean the carb the main jet seat needs to be removed before the 2 halves of the carb will come apart

The new gasoline with alcohol in it must be really corrosive to aluminum and brass.

Has anyone in the club ever had any success in drilling out the main jet seats if they were corroded?

Alcohol quickly corrodes aluminum, and I think there is 10 percent alcohol in the fuel everywhere now. Either keep the carb completely full or completely empty. I keep fuel in mine year round because they don't corrode if covered by fuel.

I have heard that someone had luck drilling out the emulsion tube, then cleaning up the threads with a tap. Not me, I ruined the one I tried to do this to. Sorry, I can't say it is easy and will work out great. Didn't for me.

My experience is the same as Rod's... ruined the carb body trying to drill out a jet. That thing was as good as welded in there. I think there could be some sort of galvanic thing going on between the brass and the aluminum in presence of ethanol.

I have posted this info in the past ....

Briggs sells a kit # 19245 for around 11.00 with both taps for the small and medium flojet. Special size, 1/4" x 32 and 5/16" x 32.

You need a 7/32 drill for the 1/4" jet in the small flojet and a 9/32 drill for the medium flojet. It will drill most of brass out and leave the threads before it gets near the nozzle seat. Then you push out the nozzle and clean the threads, works slick.

Thanks very much for the responses to my posting, yesterday I was really bummed that I might have 2 junk carburetors.

I have had 17 years use of the cast iron Briggs engines in two Landlords and I was not looking forward to not having them to use until I replaced the carbs.

I will order the Briggs 19245 tap kit and give that a try, thanks Briggsetc for the suggestion, I have 3 carbs to try it on the 3rd is a parts carb so I will use that one as my learning curve :)

Regards,

nhfootdragger